cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Electrical Engineering symbology...

speedsparky
1-Newbie

Electrical Engineering symbology...

All,

Is there any way I can create vector symbol in MathCAD that I could use as �underscore-fix� operator? Can �bold-fix� operator can be added? I am trying to distinguish between vector, module and time function in typical electrical engineering symbology, i.e. voltage complex vector is �underscored V�, module of vector is �V�, matrix of voltage vectors is �bolded V�, instantaneous value of voltage is �v� or �underscore v� etc.

Is there any way to work around shortcoming of MathCAD to apply above? I am using MC since a 3.1 version and it always was a shortcoming to the typical math/EE nomenclature and symbology. Can this be implemented in next revision/upgrade?

I believe this would help students to understand outcome of the �implied� that would not be anymore calculations.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Regards,

RMS
11 REPLIES 11
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:speedsparky)

If you can find (or create, with a font editor) a font with those symbols you can apply a user style to do what you want.

Richard

>I believe this would help students to understand outcome of the �implied� that would not be anymore calculations <.

It will have the opposite effect, i.e; abort before conception their understanding that notations are notations and that they have to be converted into numerical executable pieces. Rarely a notation is near executable unless they are pure simple functions. In the best case of a font that could be recognized as an executable function name, how many would it be required ? will they be transportable:

Answer: infinitely many and not transportable.

There are lot of work sheets from different source based on Mathcad and dealing with DSP, Electrical ... they are in pure Mathcad native work sheet style, no notation.

jmG

On 2/15/2009 12:31:21 PM, speedsparky wrote:
== Is there any way I can create vector symbol in MathCAD that I could use as � underscore-fix� operator? Can � bold-fix� operator can be added? I am trying to distinguish between vector, module and time function in typical electrical engineering symbology, i.e. voltage complex vector is � underscored V� , module of vector is � V� , matrix of voltage vectors is � bolded V� , instantaneous value of voltage is � v� or � underscore v� etc.

Yes. Use the Math styles. In the example in the attached worksheet, User Style 4 has been renamed 'Underscore Fix' and User Style 5 has been renamed 'Bold Fix'. They are both modified to have the corresponding font styles.

To apply the style to a variable, go the Format menu, choose Equation and select the appropriate style from the drop down menu on the resulting dialog. After that it's probably quicker and more convenient to copy and paste the variable name. The key sequences 'Alt-F E U Enter' and 'Alt-F E BB Enter' will also work. (If you replace my �B User� style with �Bold Fix�, then you can drop the second B in the key sequence.)

Note that 'V' in variable style is still the symbol for 'volt' unless you over-ride it.

As you can see, Mathcad takes care of any translation of the notation into whatever it needs to perform any calculations.

Stuart
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:StuartBruff)

I didn't think of simply underlining it. Duh!

Richard
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:RichardJ)

On 2/15/2009 3:40:22 PM, rijackson wrote:
== I didn't think of simply underlining it. Duh!

I would imagine that few people would consider Math Styles as an option, obvious or otherwise.

Math Styles, despite their utility, are rarely used in this Collaboratory. It would help if they were easier to use.

Stuart

If they had been more in peoples' thoughts we might have had a better system of handling recursion in Mathcad.
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:StuartBruff)

On 2/16/2009 8:15:33 AM, stuartafbruff wrote:
>On 2/15/2009 3:40:22 PM, rijackson
>wrote:
>== I didn't think of simply underlining
>it. Duh!
>
>I would imagine that few people would
>consider Math Styles as an option,
>obvious or otherwise.

Yes, but I did (although I incorrectly called them user styles). Somehow I just missed the underline though, and only thought in terms of special fonts. Perhaps because this comes up a lot, and that's the default answer.

Richard

Stuart,

This is exactly what I needed. Thank you!!! I just did not realize that there are separate definitions for styles in math and text regions and I played with text styles only.

In addition, interesting fact is that two identical variables with different styles are different variables �

Every day I learn something.

Thanxs again,

RMS

>>In addition, interesting fact is that two identical variables with different styles are different variables �<<

That has always been Mathcad's definitions. But .... in MC12+ that has been partially broken and variables in the variables and constants styles are considered the same. That breaks a few of my sheets, beware.

>In addition, interesting fact is that two identical variables with different styles are different variables >

That is not true as you state !

The LHS of a definition is scalar by the nature of maths, is carries the declared scalar argument ... therefore the RHS must carry the same scalar argument. At this stage, the scalar definition is dummy.
BUT in the use later on, you can define the scalar range as you wish by any of the supplementary user 1..7 . The nuance is between the declaration and the end use.

jmG

>...I am trying to distinguish between vector, module and time function in typical electrical engineering symbology ...<<br> __________________________

"Vector module" is unclear !

You probably need little more than the polar notations. Hard to tell w/o work sheet of what is doing what. Often, more confusion results from original confusion especially when it is paramount NOT to distinguish between variables (maybe your "vector modules" here ?), otherwise some process will not work naturally or not at all.

Applied Disambiguation attached:

1. Scalar Recurrence
2. Iterative solver
3. Recursive_Iterative-Modelling
For new visitors or those late in catching the boat.

jmG

On 2/16/2009 12:09:26 PM, jmG wrote:
== "Vector module" is unclear !

From context, 'module' may mean 'modulus' (ie, magnitude).
Top Tags