cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Engineered foods

DanMarotta
2-Guest

Engineered foods

I posted this question in the Mathcad community, but it applies to Creo Elements/Pro users too.

This is probably old news to some...I caught this story on msnbc, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619//vp/42462968#42462968

It talks about the recent sale of Pringles for $2Billion and how the chip's shape is a perfect hyperbolic paraboloid.

Pringles.jpg

I was wondering if any Creo Elements/Pro (formerly Pro/ENGINEER) members would be willing to recreate the Pringle or their favorite snack in Creo Elements/Pro, display their take on the hyperbolic paraboloid or share other examples of engineered food here.

For inspiration, take a look at this Ho Ho extruder, http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-1347

-Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Vladimir,

I'm with you! Love building geometry, especially if there's a little mathematical flavor to it. Since you are a Mathcad wizard, I'm wondering which of many possible approaches you used for your model. I just swept one conic section on another and trimmed. I'm not as much of a rendering expert as you so mine aren't quite as edible.

PRINGLES.jpg

David

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hello.

I have last five pieces of "Creo Pringles". Let your taste

chips.jpg

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Well done Vladimir! I swear you either have libraries of renderings or can whip up anything in minutes using Creo Elements/Pro, or both!

Hello Dan.
I know that I haven't prepared libraries of renderings for every challenge . I like create engineering objects but also interesting objects. Modeling and Renderings in Creo Elements/Pro is my big hobby. It's nice, because it's also my job (Create, Setup, Educate, etc.)
I like a interesting challenges similar to that of today.
Have a nice day.
Vladimir
Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Vladimir,

I'm with you! Love building geometry, especially if there's a little mathematical flavor to it. Since you are a Mathcad wizard, I'm wondering which of many possible approaches you used for your model. I just swept one conic section on another and trimmed. I'm not as much of a rendering expert as you so mine aren't quite as edible.

PRINGLES.jpg

David

Wow you even created the packaging container! A nice representation of a cylinder with a lip

Hello David - nice work.

I used the parabolic surface and warp features to create hyperbolic shape. At the end I used the feature Thickness

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Yes, I used Thicken at the end, too. I think it's one of the strategies the folks don't use as often as they should. If you try to build such things as "solid" features directly, it's much more complicated, often impossible. Perhaps the commonest example is the wave washer so often used to illustrate a trajpar controlled Variable Section Sweep. In that case it's also best to create a Surface, then Thicken; you don't get the right geometry otherwise.

Top Tags