cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equation Wrapping

aarondesk-disab
1-Newbie

Equation Wrapping

I was hoping someone knowledgable about MathCad could help me out. I've been using it to evaluate symbolic expressions. Sometimes the results get quite long. Is there a way to wrap them to one page? I tried the method suggested by the help, but it didn't seem to work. It only wrapped part of the equation. Please drop me a line at -. Thanks a lot!
10 REPLIES 10

I would like knowing the tip too.
I have a file, in version 7, very long equations.
They do not extend the width of the page, instead they continue next line down.
I simply don't see how it's done.
True, I did not insist. My preference goes for modular work.
Not long ago, the "symbolic" issued about 3 meters wide equation.
rrandall
4-Participant
(To:ptc-1368288)

If you strike "Ctrl" and "Enter" it will move down to a new line separating the previous portion of the equation with a "+" sign.

Thanks for the tip. Something like this

trip12345
4-Participant
(To:rrandall)

I am finding that "ctrl" and "enter" does nothing but highlight the entire equation when I try to wrap the equation. I have MathCAD Express Prime 6 if that matters. Is it something available to paid users but not free version users? I don't see why it would.

free strikes again.  

The original question was about symbolic expressions.  Two things:

• I don't believe you can edit the RHS of a symbolic result, and
  • Symbolics is a "premium feature."  You'll have to get your symbolics outside of Express.
LucMeekes
23-Emerald I
(To:trip12345)

"I don't see why it would."

Welcome to the club.

Some of us are asking this for other 'premium features', Most notorious to my opinion is the function mean() that is marked as a 'premium feature' in Prime Express...But maybe it's just a PTC joke.

Luc

trip12345
4-Participant
(To:LucMeekes)

I'm just getting back into code writing and the different versions with different capabilities is a little bit of an annoyance but I understand trying to get revenue for their writing. I may move on to an open source version, SMath, but I'm sure there will be problems with an open source version working like the original. Never let the engineer feel a sense of comfort; always keep them guessing. 🙂

I have mathcad prime and the ctrl enter just highlights the entire equation. this is how i used to do it with mathcad 15 but cannot find anything to work in prime

Any other suggestions?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald I
(To:BL_8417130)

Too lazy to look it up in online help?

Here are some parts:

LucMeekes_0-1622047729690.png

LucMeekes_2-1622047760869.png

Success!

Luc

@ptc-1368288 wrote:
I would like knowing the tip too.
I have a file, in version 7, very long equations.
They do not extend the width of the page, instead they continue next line down.
I simply don't see how it's done.
True, I did not insist. My preference goes for modular work.
Not long ago, the "symbolic" issued about 3 meters wide equation.

Rather than (or additionally) messing around with adding mandraulic interventions, such as ctl-+, I think PTC should come up with pretty-printer that makes sensible guesses at where to divide function calls and operators.   Several languages have editors that perform similar operations, some of which are one-person band open-source implementations, so it shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of a large IT company..

At least, there should be options to, for example, soft-wrap a long expression to the page width and to drop the body of a function down one line and indent it by one tab-width from the left side of the function name,

Cheers, 

Stuart

Announcements
Check out the latest
Mathcad Tip
"PTC Mathcad 15 / Prime 1-6 Update."