cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Equation as text using trial and error

kshaikh
1-Newbie

Equation as text using trial and error

Hi,

I wanted a equation as text which should appear when a situation/ condition is satisfied.

Please find attached excel sheet for the same.

Below are few examples as to explain the requirement/question.

Example1 :- in this example L1<z1, hence the limit of integration of I1 changes from 0 to L1 in first equation.

I got the solution i.e the value of I1,  but for representation I require the equation too in the MATHCAD sheet. as shown in the example.

Therefore, the value along with equation should appear on the sheet.

z1=12m, z2=15m, z3=18m, z4=20m,z5=20m

Example 1 (1rd layer).jpg

Example2 :- in this example z1<L1<z2, hence the limit of integration of I2 changes from z1 to L1 in first equation..Example 2 (2rd layer).jpg

Example3 :- in this example z2<L1<z3, hence the limit of integration of I3 changes from z2 to L1 in first equation.

Example 3 (3rd layer).jpg

Example4 :- in this example z4<L1<z5, hence the limit of integration of I5 changes from z4 to L1 in first equationexample 5 (5th layer).jpg

Thank you for your help.

7 REPLIES 7

Please find attached MATHCAD sheet.

VladimirN.Antonius DirriwachterJustin MarshallKyle PhelpsFan CGFan CG

Is what I had done with I4 something you are looking for?

WE

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:kshaikh)

Khalid Shaikh wrote:

Hi,

I wanted a equation as text which should appear when a situation/ condition is satisfied.

Please find attached excel sheet for the same.

Below are few examples as to explain the requirement/question.

Example1 :- in this example L1<z1, hence the limit of integration of I1 changes from 0 to L1 in first equation.

I got the solution i.e the value of I1,  but for representation I require the equation too in the MATHCAD sheet. as shown in the example.

Therefore, the value along with equation should appear on the sheet.

z1=12m, z2=15m, z3=18m, z4=20m,z5=20m

Example2 :- in this example z1<L1<z2, hence the limit of integration of I2 changes from z1 to L1 in first equation..

Example3 :- in this example z2<L1<z3, hence the limit of integration of I3 changes from z2 to L1 in first equation.

Example4 :- in this example z4<L1<z5, hence the limit of integration of I5 changes from z4 to L1 in first equation

Thank you for your help.

I'm afraid that I can't work out what you mean by "write the equation" - I can't find anything marked as such in the thread messages or the worksheet.  Could you please point me to where you have written what you want returning?  Is it in the Excel workbook that you mention?  If so, it doesn't appear to have attached to the message when I look at it.  Or do you mean the list of layers and their respective frictions at the bottom of the Mathcad worksheet?

Here' one approach you might want to think about, though.  I'd be tempted to convert your equations into something that would be easier to calculate in a loop; this would mean you could change the number of layers without too much further work.

Stuart

My crystal ball told me that the idea was to just display the appropriate integral as a formula which was used to derive the value for the variables I.4, etc.

But then, I may be wrong.

Werner

What Mr,. Werner is exactly what I want only the formula to be displayed but also with the condition depending on the value of "L1"

If z1<L1 then formulas representing I1, I2,I3,I4,I5 should be as shown in example1.

Example 1 (1rd layer).jpg

if  z1<L1<z2 then formulas representing I1, I2,I3,I4,I5 should be as shown in example2

Example 2 (2rd layer).jpg

if z2<L1<z3 then formulas representing I1, I2,I3,I4,I5 should be as shown in example3

Example 3 (3rd layer).jpg

if z4<L1<z5 then formulas representing I1, I2,I3,I4,I5 should be as shown in example5

example 5 (5th layer).jpg

etc

Thank you all for replies.

Khalid

I guess you will hardly get Prime's symbolics to display an integral where the upper and lower limits are equal - it will always automatically simplify it to zero.

Also there is no way I would be aware of to convert a mathematical expression to a string and furthermore a text string would not be able to display the integral in a pleasant way.

So if my first approach is not near to what you need, I could not think of a reasonable other solution (apart from writing an extern program which reads the Prime file, parses the math region you want and creates a new region, a dummy math definition showing the integral in exactly the way you want).

I could think of some ways to do this in older Mathcad 15 using images which are displayed depending of certain conditions, but that feature is (as many others) not available in Prime.

WE

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

I don't see any indication that this is supposed to be in Prime. So in principle I think it would be possible to write a scripted component that would modify the XML of the math regions to change the integrals. That would be really a lot of work though, and it's very unlikely that it will ever be possible to port such a worksheet to Prime at some point in the future.

Top Tags