cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Equation solve option usage

krishnakumar
1-Newbie

Equation solve option usage

Dear all

I am timely user of MATHCAD.I have clarifications in the Equations solve.In the attached file using the find function i got single point,answer,however one more point answer does not displayed.

For equations solve FIND,SYMBOLIC VARIABLE SOLVE,(USING ARROW MARK SYMBOL AVAILABLE IN TOOLBAR) i.e more than 5 options are available.

In other image file attached by giving input value as a sin(theta) the solve function does not solve.However if the numerical value given, the function is being solved.

For my application what is the exact command to be used,also to know other options applications.

Thanks

prakash

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

krishnakumar krishnakumar wrote:

Dear all

I am timely user of MATHCAD.I have clarifications in the Equations solve.In the attached file using the find function i got single point,answer,however one more point answer does not displayed.

For equations solve FIND,SYMBOLIC VARIABLE SOLVE,(USING ARROW MARK SYMBOL AVAILABLE IN TOOLBAR) i.e more than 5 options are available.

In other image file attached by giving input value as a sin(theta) the solve function does not solve.However if the numerical value given, the function is being solved.

For my application what is the exact command to be used,also to know other options applications.

Thanks

prakash

See my file in the other thread. Basically, for symbolic solutions it's best to do this before using numbers and units (the symbolics doesn't really understand units). Also, you forced only two solutions to be returned by assigning the results to a vector. Assign the results to a matrix (either as a single name, or explicitly as a 2x2 matrix) to get all the results. I did this for the symbolic solution, but left it for you to make the change in the numerical solution.

Alan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Dear all

Thanks

prakash

See my file in the other thread. Basically, for symbolic solutions it's best to do this before using numbers and units (the symbolics doesn't really understand units). Also, you forced only two solutions to be returned by assigning the results to a vector. Assign the results to a matrix (either as a single name, or explicitly as a 2x2 matrix) to get all the results. I did this for the symbolic solution, but left it for you to make the change in the numerical solution.

Alan

Alan i understood that i have to define matrix form,and should not use units Thank u

Wonderful u solved it.

But i could not understand bit.

u r used Find function it says that it cant be displayed as the expression is large.follwed by why u r defined that

Bx1(Ax,Ay,b,c1,d)=soln(0,0)?

cant u give like tht soln(0,0)=Bx1

Thanks

prakash

Prakash

Alan i understood that i have to define matrix form,and should not use units Thank u

Wonderful u solved it.

But i could not understand bit.

u r used Find function it says that it cant be displayed as the expression is large.follwed by why u r defined that

Bx1(Ax,Ay,b,c1,d)=soln(0,0)?

cant u give like tht soln(0,0)=Bx1

Thanks

prakash

Prakash

By setting Bx1(Ax,Ay,b,c1,d):=soln(0,0) you assign the symbolic solution to a function which can be evaluated numerically later when you provide numerical values for the arguments Ax, Ay etc. The solution for each individual component is not too large to see in this case, though you could still do this assignment if it were. You could also set soln(Ax,Ay,b,c1):=Find(Bx,By) directly if you wish. You would then not be able to see the solution, but could get a numerical 2x2 matrix solution by passing numerical arguments to it.

Alan

Top Tags