cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Equation solve

geonicolae21
3-Visitor

Equation solve

Hi guys.

I have a problem and I don't manage to solve the equation by myself. Can you look into it and say what is wrong?

Thank you.

P.s. It's the last equation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I agree with Luc that a numeric solution should suffice here.

Just for fun you may look in the attached sheet to see how to convince the symbolics to solve the equation and als to just give us the positive solution.

You have to know that the symbolics does not know anything about units and so it does not know what mm might be. By telling it via the "assume" command that mm>0 its willing to solve.

B.jpg

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:geonicolae21)

I don't know what the error message for the symbolic solve says, but, would 7.83 mm do fine?

Instead of symbolic solve, you can use a numeric solve: the root function.

See attachment.

Success!
Luc

Note that the symbolic solver of Prime does NOT know about units. It treats them as undefined variables. In cases (as yours) where the unitsare balanced, or cancel out, that can still work fine. There are many cases where it doesn't.

In general, when you want to find a symbolic solution, first solve your problem fully symbolically, so without defining any values (or as little as possible). You can assign the result of the symbolic solution to a function (with any variables you need to use as parameters) and use that function to calculate the result.

I don't know what the answer should be, but it's seems to be a possible answer so I think it's ok.

Thank you.

I agree with Luc that a numeric solution should suffice here.

Just for fun you may look in the attached sheet to see how to convince the symbolics to solve the equation and als to just give us the positive solution.

You have to know that the symbolics does not know anything about units and so it does not know what mm might be. By telling it via the "assume" command that mm>0 its willing to solve.

B.jpg

Thank you very much.

Top Tags