cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Equations Too long for pages in PDF

ZeusEscudero
1-Newbie

Equations Too long for pages in PDF

Dear Community members:

When I share my MathCad documents via Word or PDF, the long equations are not kept in only one page, so documents are not easily readable. How can I indicate MathCad to continue equations in the row below and not in the inexistent neighbor page? Does MathCad have a kind of wrap configuration?

Thank you in advanced

Zeus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can wrap equations, with some restrictions.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

You can wrap equations, with some restrictions.

To split an equation in two or more lines use ctrl+enter. An addition symbol is automatically typed, so split equations where addition signs are necessary. Addition signs in splited lines can not be changed by minus signs.

Thanks to Fred.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ZeusEscudero)

Addition signs in splited lines can not be changed by minus signs.

The first time I came around this I was astonished that lines could only be split for a + sign.

Have you reduced the font?

Mike

In Menu Format/Equation/Variable style

I use font size 10, Times New Roman, Normal.

I just have tried changing font size to 12 and I don't see any difference for using minus operator in spliting lines

You can split at a minus sign, but it will look strange. However, the math is correct.

wrap.JPG

I've used the equation wrap feature, but many times it doesn't do the job because the expressions don't have enough plus or minus breaks. For those cases, I just put the equation in a collapsed area which PDF ignores because it is "what you see is what you get". Then I mention what is included in the collapsed area so the reader knows there are some missing steps. For most readers, this is fine. I don't think anyone is going to check the 4 page wide results that I've had. And in some cases, you get a symbolic result that is so long that Mathcad refuses to print it, so you probably are going to hide that equation too.

For the collapsed area, you can keep the collapsed line indicator or hide it for your report. However, if you hide it, then you have to search for it when you want to open it in your Mathcad file.

Good point.

Mike

Some other options:

Break the equation into smaller pieces and then combine the pieces

F1= F2= F3= F=f(F1 F2 F3))

Have also hid the active equation, either as indicated by Harvey, or just put the active equation on the right hand page.

Then copy and past into the printable area as a picture, and then reduce , or, break up and past, as a picture

For example
F(a,b,c,d)=
Right hand side.

Top Tags