cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Error Plotting a Function

kroberts-3
1-Newbie

Error Plotting a Function

Hi

I am fairly new to mathcad and I'm having a problem creating a graph of an equation, which describes the transient behaviour of the torque generated by a moter during a fault condition. The datasheet where the equation comes from states that the maximum value (-295.4) occurs at t=0.016s and so I have been able to check that the equation is giving the correct answer for a single value of t.

I now want to create a graph of the function, but when I try to do so, I get an error stating "Plotting failed. Replace complex values and NaNs by real numbers".

Can anyone tell me why this is going wrong? I have tried it with and without units; using t and t1 as the argument.

Thanks

Ken

My Mathcad Prime 3 worksheet is attached.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:kroberts-3)

That's a very misleading error message. You have inadvertently created a function, D(). Insert a multiplication operator so that you have D*(), and it works fine.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:kroberts-3)

That's a very misleading error message. You have inadvertently created a function, D(). Insert a multiplication operator so that you have D*(), and it works fine.

Richard Jackson wrote:

See please the Ward # 17 in the Mathcad Mad House http://communities.ptc.com/message/178791

Have you ever tried to evaluate m4(0.01 s)= ore something like that? You get the error "This value must be a function" and if you trace back that error (calculation ribbon) you land in the definition of m4() at D. You typed D(...) instead of D*(...) and so you are calling a nonexistent function D(). Add the multiplication sign between D and the parenthesis and your sheet works as expected.

Thanks everyone. I guessed it was going to be something simple.

Ken

Top Tags