cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Error in Solving an Initial Value Problem

mfrench
12-Amethyst

Error in Solving an Initial Value Problem

Hi Folks,

I'm getting an error in what should be a very simple ODE solution.  The error says that I have too many initial conditions, but a second order problem requires two initial conditions.

I'm probably making some bush league mistake, but I just don't see it.

I would most appreciate any suggestions.

Mark

P.S.  I can upload the mcad file if that helps.

2 REPLIES 2

1) If you have a question, then create a question here, not a document.

2) If possible, always attach you Mathcad file and state, which version you are using

Mathcad is quite limited when it come to differential equation. In your case it seems, the squaring the second derivative is something which Mathcad does not like.

If you create a workaround using the square root, you get a solution, but not the 1/2*sin(2x) you expected.

Mathcad gives you y=x, which is a solution to your DE as well 😉

WE

mfrench
12-Amethyst
(To:mfrench)

Hi Werner,

Thanks very much for the quick reply.  I'm doing the solution in MCAD15.  You are correct that y=x is a solution that satisfies the initial conditions.  I tried starting the solution at a small, non-zero value of x and using the second derivative as one of the corresponding initial conditions.  I had hoped to nudge the solver to the sinusoidal rather than the straight line solution.  However, it also gave an error.

I'm not sure how to attach the file to this message.  Do I need to start another thread?

Mark

Top Tags