cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Error summing range with units

EP_10048426
2-Guest

Error summing range with units

I have a range of lengths. I need to sum them after pushing them through a function. Unfortunately the sum operator is not happy and stating: "Ranges with units must specify the second value in the range". Thank you for your time and help.mathCADSumPost.PNG

5 REPLIES 5

Hi,

The issue is earlier in the worksheet.

Please enclose the worksheet.

Cheers

Terry

Your post is missing a worksheet (attachment).

@EP_10048426 wrote:

I have a range of lengths. I need to sum them after pushing them through a function. Unfortunately the sum operator is not happy and stating: "Ranges with units must specify the second value in the range". Thank you for your time and help.]

What this normally means is that the user has defined a range with units, but only specified the first and last values, eg, i:=1 m..10 m.

Mathcad requires ranges with units to have the 'step' value, eg, i:=1 m, 2 m .. 10 m.

However, as noted in other messages, it is difficult (read 'normally impossible') to diagnose an error without the guilty worksheet.  Error messages can be misleading or complete red herrings.

Cheers,

Stuart

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:EP_10048426)

First off: Yes the worksheet is needed! (You should ALWAYS attach the worksheet, or a minimised version, that shows your problem).

Assuming you have i defined as a range with units, this is Prime behaviour:

LucMeekes_0-1632136353009.png

LucMeekes_1-1632139340545.png

Success!
Luc

I don't think that the OP has defined a range variable above the expression shown in the pic. It looks to me that the problem is rather that the upper limit of his sum is not a simple scalar but a quantity with a unit, maybe a length. So basically he is trying to do something like

Werner_E_0-1632192240820.png

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the desired result using the sum operator alone without having to define something else like a vector or a a global range variable on worksheet level 😞

Werner_E_1-1632192270659.png

OK, one way to avoid defining anything else is to get rid of the units in the summation and add them to the function argument, but I would not recommend doing so:

Werner_E_2-1632192305848.png

Top Tags