cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Error when activating license on Mathcad 15

jpearson
1-Newbie

Error when activating license on Mathcad 15

Getting the following error message when trying to activate Mathcad for student at Mississippi State University

Setup could not properly detect the host id that is required. 

5 REPLIES 5

Hi,

probably network card is disabled/disconnected.

MH

Martin Hanák

I assume you're running Windows...

This happened to me after I added a WiFi USB dongle to my mainframe on Win-7 Pro.

Mathcad only recognizes the first network MAC entry. I had to modify the registry to get the built-in MAC on top. (it's HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards, but get help if you're a novice at the registry.) Note that Windows only goes by the first character.

In a cmd window (run menu) type ipconfig/all to see the list. The MAC (Host ID) is listed under Physical Address (XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX) in hex.

Ralph

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:randrea)

Ralph Andrea wrote:

I assume you're running Windows...

This happened to me after I added a WiFi USB dongle to my mainframe on Win-7 Pro.

Mathcad only recognizes the first network MAC entry. I had to modify the registry to get the built-in MAC on top. (it's HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards, but get help if you're a novice at the registry.) Note that Windows only goes by the first character.

In a cmd window (run menu) type ipconfig/all to see the list. The MAC (Host ID) is listed under Physical Address (XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX) in hex.

Ralph

Just to note that, certainly in the past, Mathcad itself looked for the Host ID (MAC address) ins a slightly different way to the licence software. Mathcad would take the first item on the network card list, independent of its network number, while the licence software that was checking for a correct licence would check the mac addresses in card number order (this is on way of looking at the issue). This was a problem for OEM PCs that had multiple different configurations all handle by a single build image, so as your 'new card' was added to the end of the list, while some old built in network connection was still present you could easily get that the addresses didn't list in an acceptable order. Also make sure that the card you have is listed in the registry - some did not do that!

One option is to simply change the network card numbers to be in the order you want. PTC has a number of old support calls that list the various resolutions, though the support staff may not find the right one. I have seen this at my work with staff who have home PC licences.

Yes, I renamed the dirs to order of UIC recognition in regedit nearly 2 years ago. That fixed my Host ID problems for good.

I'm now running Win 10 pro and everything transferred smoothly.

PS: Although I have Prime 3.1 and rewrote all my DLLs for 64-bit Prime, I write a lot of technical reports and still primarily use Mathcad 15 for MS Office compatibility. (any comments here - start a new thread)

If you run the installer of Mathcad 15, then you are able to see MAC address (HostID) of the network card, which must match with what is registered in your license file.

Pic_1.png

Top Tags