Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel 2007 components in M13, M14 are black in PDF

Highlighted

When I print M13 or M14 docs that have Excel 2007 components to Cute PDF, the tables appear as black regions. I can double click randomly in the black regions, copy information from them that I can't see, and paste it elsewhere. Does anyone know what is happening?

Rich
http://www.downeastengineering.com/
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted

I don't see this problem using either Acrobat PDF writer or CutePDF (MC14, Win XP, CutePDF 2.2).

Richard
Highlighted

Hmm. I'm using
Win XP Pro SP2
M13 and M14 (same results for both)
Office 2007 (That may be the problem)
CutePDF Writer 2.7
CutePDF Pro 3.3

All other features of Mathcad seem to print OK using CutePDF. I'll see what I can do to try another PDF driver, and contact CutePDF folks about Office 2007.

Rich
Highlighted

I guess that's what comes from upgrading the laptop, Office, Mathcad and CutePDF, et al., all at the same time. The folks at CutePDF say that it is a known problem with Excel 2007, but they didn't give an indication of whether they might have a fix for it or whether it will require a Excel patch. I might just remove 2007 and get another copy of Office 2003...

Rich
Highlighted

OK. Actually, you just saved me some work. I was about to upgrade to CutePDF 3.3 to see if that was the problem. Since I am still in the dark ages of Office 2000 I guess I don't need to.

Did the folks at CutePDf say if the problem was unique to version 3.3? Would installing an older version of CutePDF fix it?

Richard
Highlighted

I can comfirm the problem with Acrobat 7 3D, so I believe it to be an issue between Office 2007 and the component interface.

Steen Gro�e
Highlighted

I've asked but they haven't replied yet...but Steen's post answers the question, I think. I just ordered a copy of Office 2003. I'll remove Office 2007 and install 2003. Then both my systems will match, anyway.

Rich
Highlighted

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=329863

Solution #4 worked for me... I have excel 2007, Adobe 7 Pro and MC 13
Highlighted

We are upgrading to Mathcad 13 and Excel 2007, and have noticed the same problem.
An Excel object edited with Excel 2007 prints black in all our printers (hard copy AND PDF)

If the same mcd file is opened by someone using M13 and Excel 2000 it still prints black unless they "edit" the excel object. Then it prints OK, even if nothing was changed.

One point which may highlight the bug; a picture embedded in the Excel object disappears ON SCREEN when it is edited with Excel 2007, but reappears after editing with Excel 2000.
Highlighted

This has been logged and was seen with several other PDF printers including Adobe Acrobat.

The user saw the same problem with embedded Excel 2007 objects in Intergraph Smartsketch 5.0, so it seems to be a problem with Microsoft Excel 2007 components in a PDF file.

I'll add both your names to the issue.

Mona
Highlighted

I found a solution:

Open the Excel 2007 file and select the area you want to paste into MathCad.

Open Word 2007 and Paste Special as Picture (Enhanced Metafile)into a blank page in Word.

Select the picture in Word and paste into Mathcad 14.

Now print the MathCad file to CutePDF or Acrobat 6 (I have tried both) and the page prints normally with no black block where the graphic should be.
Highlighted

If you're going to settle for a picture of the Excel table rather than an embedded Excel table (which is editable, unlike the picture) you should be able to do that directly in Mathcad using paste special to paste a picture rather than an Excel object.

Re: Excel 2007 components in M13, M14 are black in PDF

We are experiencing the same issue with PDF or printer. Please email if a solution exists to insert editable (and printable) object, beyond copying into Mathcad as the other user has posted. Thankyou!

Highlighted

Mona

Is there any update on this issue?

Thanks

Regards

JXB

Highlighted

I had this issue but it is no longer reproduced after installing Office 2007 SP2. It seems bug is with Excel not Mathcad

Highlighted

That's very strange, but cheers for reporting.

Mike

Highlighted

I had this same problem with M14 and only found 1 solution.

I used the advanced editing tool-up tool in Acrobat. Selected the clack object and hit delete. This removed the black image.

Horrible, but worked.

Mike

Announcements