cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Experiences using Mathcad-Pro/Engineer Integration?

akelly
11-Garnet

Experiences using Mathcad-Pro/Engineer Integration?

REF: http://www.ptc.com/cs/cs_26/howto/beh12103/beh12103_a.htm

Can anyone that has used the Mathcad Analysis feature in Pro/E please raise your hand?

In your response, please state whether you predominantly pull data from Mathcad (mc2proe), push data to Mathcad (proe2mc), or use a combination.

Comments about positive and negative experiences with this functionality would also be appreciated.

Using Wildfire 4. Considering Mathcad, but management says that there's no benefit. On a "fishing expedition", looking for the "big one" that might get them to change their mind.

3 REPLIES 3

Andrew,

There is a good reference book available if you are planning to use MathCAD. The title is Engineering with MathCAD by Brent Maxfield. Unfortunately, it does not discuss the MatchCAD / Pro-E integration, but is very helpful tutorial in teaching you how to use MathCAD to solve engineering equations.

As I am currently off PTC maintenance, I cannot view the link you posted to the PTC website. It would be helpful if a book was available with tutorials on the Pro-E & MathCAD integration.

Chris

In Reply to Andrew Kelly:

Can anyone that has used the Mathcad Analysis feature in Pro/E please raise your hand?

In your response, please state whether you predominantly pull data from Mathcad (mc2proe), push data to Mathcad (proe2mc), or use a combination.

Comments about positive and negative experiences with this functionality would also be appreciated.

Using Wildfire 4. Considering Mathcad, but management says that there's no benefit. On a "fishing expedition", looking for the "big one" that might get them to change their mind.

I just received this tip about a user guide that covers the the MathCAD integration with Pro/Engineer.

Tristar has a Mathcad Quick Reference Guide available that basically does what you’re asking about.

http://www.tristar.com/qrg/mathcad14.asp

In Reply to Christopher Thompson:

Andrew,

There is a good reference book available if you are planning to use MathCAD. The title is Engineering with MathCAD by Brent Maxfield. Unfortunately, it does not discuss the MatchCAD / Pro-E integration, but is very helpful tutorial in teaching you how to use MathCAD to solve engineering equations.

As I am currently off PTC maintenance, I cannot view the link you posted to the PTC website. It would be helpful if a book was available with tutorials on the Pro-E & MathCAD integration.

Chris

In Reply to Andrew Kelly:

gkbeer
1-Newbie
(To:akelly)

The main problem is the communications between Pro and Mathcad.

It's very cumbersome to pass parameters between them. That link, below,
shows a process that involves 22 pages of interactive instructions. If you
need to pass hundreds of parameters... forget it, the interactive overhead
is prohibitive. The links formed, are just as subject to rot as any other
internal/external reference in Pro/E.

What I found works well, is to run a calc in Mathcad then have Mathcad write
the results formatted as a pattern table file (.tbl)

I had a choice of building a horribly complex group of planes axis points
and sketches and csys, then making a table driven pattern of the mess.
Extreme caution would have been needed to prevent datum flipping as angles
exceeded 180.

Or. keep the model simple, take the calc's external and pass a pattern table
into Pro.

I tried this with Excel, and quickly learned that Excel is poor at doing
calculus.

Mathcad however is great at calculus, and a simple equation can do array
wide manipulations. The hardest part was figuring out how to get Mathcad to
write the results as a properly formatted .tbl file.

--Glenn

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 6:52 AM, Andrew Kelly <
-> wrote:

> REF:
> get them to change their mind.
>
>
Top Tags