cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Explicitly solve a function assigned to a variable

EddieP
3-Visitor

Explicitly solve a function assigned to a variable

Hi all,

I am trying to solve a function symbolically.  However, I am having trouble with it, as shown below:

Symbolics.jpg

As you can see, if I symbolically solve the function in the first line, directly, I get the desired result.  It shows the transposed function and then I evaluate to get the answer.

In the second line, I try to assign the function to a function variable.

In the third line, I try to call up the function to solve it explicitly, but it fails.  However, it still manages to find the solution, if I don't request 'explicit'.

Is there any way to call up a function assigned to a variable and solve it explicitly?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

2 REPLIES 2
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:EddieP)

I think the problem lies with using 'explicit' and 'solve, ThetaR' on the same line. This may be interpreted as that the numeric values for 'solve' and for 'ThetaR' must be suppressed in the answer.

Look up the help info on explicit to see examples of how it is supposed to be used. You'll find that you're supposed to stack the keywords 'explicit' and 'solve' rather than butt them on the same line.

Success!

Luc

It seems that in my case it makes no difference:

Symbolics2.jpg

It just can't find a symbolic solution for a function assigned to a variable.  As can be seen above, it works nicely when applying the keywords to the function directly.  But the moment I assign it to a variable, it gives up.  It still finds a solution, but not symbolically.

Am I doing something wrong in terms of assigning the function to a variable?

The reason I am trying to do this, is I am creating a worksheet which assigns a function to a variable depending a set of parameters the user specifies.  If the function can't be evaluated from that variable, then the exercise becomes pointless.

Top Tags