cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Export data from mathcad to Creo notebook(earlier layout)

vkothari
4-Participant

Export data from mathcad to Creo notebook(earlier layout)

Hello,

I have a done calculation in mathcad to check my design for safety.

Now, i want those inputs used for calculation in mathcad to become parameters in creo. These parameters i want to use in notebook which will drive my assembly.

Also , if i change my design in mathcad, corresponding change should occur in notebook parameter and so in assembly.

If direct link is not possible, excel as a link will also do.

thank you for you time.

13 REPLIES 13

vkothari
4-Participant
(To:ValeryOchkov)

hi,

thank you for your response, it was helpful, but not what i was seeking.

In notebook when i check analysis, all analysis are grayed out(inactive) , excel analysis/tool based/external/mathcad analysis/prime analysis.

All inactive.

Hope to get an answer from somewhere ....

If there is a method where i can convert mathcad inputs into excel and then from excel to creo notebook and as a parameter...even that will do...

I also found there is command named writeexcel(filename,input) but gives error saying check unit.

my inputs are of different units and it does not take them into one array.

.........................................................................................................................................................

The "Mathcad inputs" you are talking about are outputs, viewed from Mathcad, right? 😉

I don't use Creo but maybe I can help you in getting your data into an Excel file.

You don't state if you are using Prime or real Mathad (15 or below), but as of the unit problem you report, I guess you are using MC15 or similar. Prime would support different units in an array - a plus of Prime among a lot of minus.

As Excel does not support units you would have to get rid of the units anyway if you write your data to an Excel file. You can do this by simply dividing the variable by the unit you want the value to be in when you collect your "inputs" into a matrix.

If you have further problems it may be helpful if you post your worksheet, if possible, and state what values you want to be written to which cells in the Excel sheet with WRITEEXCEL.

vkothari
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

Hi , thank you for your time.Please find the attached file for your reference.

The "Mathcad inputs" you are talking about are outputs, viewed from Mathcad, right? 😉

Right. These input are used to verify my design.Specifically u may use from input section bar_w,bar_l,bar_b,bar_gap,tw_l,tw_w,tw_b as inputs to be transferred to excel. As you specified you dont use creo. But if anyone else tries it , I want these to be transferred to creo notebook.

You don't state if you are using Prime or real Mathad (15 or below), but as of the unit problem you report, I guess you are using MC15 or similar. Prime would support different units in an array - a plus of Prime among a lot of minus.

I use Prime 1.0 and creo 2.0.

As Excel does not support units you would have to get rid of the units anyway if you write your data to an Excel file. You can do this by simply dividing the variable by the unit you want the value to be in when you collect your "inputs" into a matrix.

Perfect. Dividing vector by unit solved my problem.

NOW, I want thses inputs to start at columnB and row 1 in excel.

I read your earlier message for the same using dummy with different variables and all..i didnt understand it much. Hope you can help me out sooner.

Thank you very much for your interest in solving my problem.

I use Prime 1.0 and creo 2.0.

That way we have kind of a problem. I am using the (current) version Prime 2 and while P2 will be able to read your P1 file, it incomprehensibly won't be able to save in P1 format. So you would not be able to open any file I could attach. There is no way to convert P2 to P1 format.

I would suggest not to use Prime1 and switch to Prime2 or MC15, if possible.

Perfect. Dividing vector by unit solved my problem.

Glad to hear. So it it seems it was not MC which would have refused the construction of the vector with different units but rather the routine WRITEEXCEL which didn't know what to do with the units in the course of exporting to Excel. Or the ability to have different units in a matrix was implented first in P2, I don't know and it doesn't matter anyway.

NOW, I want thses inputs to start at columnB and row 1 in excel.

I read your earlier message for the same using dummy with different variables and all..i didnt understand it much. Hope you can help me out sooner.

Unfortunately the behaviour of WRITEEXCEL has changed in Prime and it will start always writing at cell A1.

So in the thread I think you are talking about http://communities.ptc.com/message/211499#211499 I provided a self written routine WriteExcel() which would begin to write at any cell of the first sheet of the excel file. Its rather clumsy and works by first reading the full Excel sheet (if it already exists) in a Mathcad matrix, puts the data to be written at the correct position in that matrix and writes back the matrix.

I attach a pdf of that file (the function is a the end) as you probably can't read it with your version. The dummy variable you mentioned is just a way to trigger the function. A function in Mathcad is forces to evaluate either if you assign the output to a variable or if you explicitely evaluate it (e.g. y:=sin(0) or sin(0)=). I want the function to evaluate (because I want the data to be written) but I am not interested in any "result", so I assign it a dummy variable.

You could use this routine if you are willing to retype it in Prime1.

In your case, as you want the data to be written beginnning at B1, it would seem the best to just add a dummy column as first column in your matrix.

Woodsel1.png

You can't do so if there is some data in column A of your Excel file which you want to keep. In that case you would first read in that column and it would be that data you prepend as first matrix column.

woodsel2.png

Hope this helps but in any case I hope that someone else could guide you to a direct "marriage" of Prime1 and Creo, if that would be possible at all.

vkothari
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

You are amazing.

Thank you so much for wonderful help and effort.

I will try it out and hope my problem gets solved.

Thank you for your valuable time once again.

What version of Creo and Mathcad you are trying to reach?

Vinit Kothari wrote:

... In notebook when i check analysis, all analysis are grayed out(inactive) , excel analysis/tool based/external/mathcad analysis/prime analysis.

All inactive...

Can you provide screenshot of this issue?

vkothari
4-Participant
(To:VladimirN)

Thank you for your time. I wish a direct feature exists in creo - notebook where by i can create parameters to drive my assembly.

VladimirN. wrote:

What version of Creo and Mathcad you are trying to reach?

creo 2.0 ; mathcad prime 1

Can you provide screenshot of this issue?

creo_mcad.bmp

Hi Vinit,

Are you trying to pass variables from Prime into Creo in a drawing sheet (based on the screenshot) or in the 3D part?

vkothari
4-Participant

Yes,

Layout earlier , but currently its named NOTEBOOK in creo2.0

Exactly, by sharing it in notebook makes design less prone to failure and all parameters are defined at one place only that is notebook..

What happens is , if suppose this notebook is not present in working directory or even deleted , values assigned through notebook are retained and editable.

But , its not drawing sheet.

Instead ptc has said , notebook is meant for use from scratch design.Mine is scratch design and i want these values to pass to notebook.

Hope its possible.

If not, cant any PTC representative guide me through this

Thank you for your time VladmirinN.

Awaiting your reply.

The Mathcad/Prime analysis has to work with 3D part/assembly.

vkothari
4-Participant

correct it has to work with 3d part.But its neither a 3d part nor an assembly.

If you use creo, please check notebook when you press new ; or if you use pro e wf5, check layout.

Thank you,

Vinit Kothari

Simplified Logic Inc specializes in bi-directional Excel to Creo or Creo to Excel data transfer this with an application called Nitro-CELL.  Please see this Website: Simplified Logic, Inc. and YouTube Channel:  Simplified Logic, Inc. - YouTube

Top Tags