cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Export in MathML / Conversion in Prime

MR_9994284
4-Participant

Export in MathML / Conversion in Prime

Hello

I used Mathcad 15. Due to termination of Mathcad 15 I am forced to switch to Prime.

I used the internal conversion tool in Prime 7. The converter shows me several hundred conversion problems (converter is unsure if the conversion is correct...)

Sometimes the conversion works. Sometimes not. Even if I converte the same file several times.

I also observed the behavior that if I convert the same file multiple times I receive different conversion results.

Now I want to export my Mathcad15 in MathML. Not in simple HTML. I want a real MathML.

I already exported the mathcad to HTML. But this export is .... "suboptimal".

The formulas are exported as images. I can not copy them in a useful way.

--> Is there a way to export from Mathcad 15 into MathML? (Export from Prime in MathML is not suitable for me because the conversion into Prime does not work).

--> Is there a plan/date when the converter (MC15->Prime) is fully functional?

Best regards

Martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:MR_9994284)

QED

(and that's not Quantum Electro-Dynamics, but latin: Quod Erat Demonstrandum).

Luc

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Its no surprise that the conversion from real Mathcad to Prime often fails or give undesired and useless results. After all Prime is way back behind Mathcad in functionality and usability. Given the glacial "progress" in "development" of Prime so far, I guess that will not change in the next few years, probably never.

But I am surprised to hear that multiple attempts to convert the very same file using the very same converter resulted in different Prime sheets. Thats really hard to believe. Can you give an example?

According the MathML export I guess there is no easy way to do. You'll have to write your own converter, examining the XML of the Mathcad file.

Raiko
16-Pearl
(To:Werner_E)

"Given the glacial progress in development of Prime..."

Well, a glacier moves but I wouldn't call that progress 😉

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:Raiko)

@Raiko wrote:

"Given the glacial progress in development of Prime..."

Well, a glacier moves but I wouldn't call that progress 😉

Maybe anthropogenic global warming will speed things up? 😇

... On the other hand, a  melted glacier is a non-existent glacier, and they don't move at all! 😈

Personally, I'd like to see LaTeχ export/import.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

-> Mathcad 2001, 2001i and 11 have an option to 'Save as' a "HTML/MathML File (*.htm)" .

The expression:

LucMeekes_0-1626887996983.png

creates this MathML:

LucMeekes_1-1626888302742.png

Did they drop that 'Save as' modality in Mathcad 13, 14 or 15?

-> What do you understand by 'fully functional'?

Considering the fact that Mathcad (15 and before) outperform Prime on a number of items, and there appears to be no plan to fill certain gaps, there will always be Mathcad 15 sheets that require additional (hand-)work after 'conversion' to Prime...

Success!
Luc

Did they drop that 'Save as' modality in Mathcad 13, 14 or 15?

Yeah! Here is what MC15 offers with "Save as":

Werner_E_0-1626897581215.png

MR_9994284
4-Participant

Hello

as requested the comparision of two conversions:MC15 in Prime 7 Converter - Comparision of several conversions.png

cite: You'll have to write your own converter, examining the XML of the Mathcad file.

TBH: If it would be so easy as you said then the competitors would generate a input interface. But they don't do it. Second: I am a HW engineer and I do not write a script to parse XML. This is not my job. My employer pays much money to get a maintenance and I receive a converter which works sometimes sometimes not. I want to trust the converted scripts. And I don't want to check each formula if there is an error or not. If I would print the WCA on a paper I would waste 200 pages of paper.

@MR_9994284 wrote:

Hello

as requested the comparision of two conversions:

Thats indeed surprising but I guess that you don't find any differences when you open both sheets in Prime, correct?
Sometimes files for various reasons contain dummy data and that may be arbitrary date from the memory which may be different dependent on the time of conversion. I am not sure if thats the case with the Prime sheets but it might be an explanation for the difference when doing a binary comparison.

cite: You'll have to write your own converter, examining the XML of the Mathcad file.

TBH: If it would be so easy as you said then the competitors would generate a input interface. But they don't do it. Second: I am a HW engineer and I do not write a script to parse XML. This is not my job.

I didn't claim it would be an easy task. You demanded a HTML-MathML converter and as this feature isn't built into Mathcad you would be forced to either write your own, find somebody who does it for your or live without. I don't think that PTC will provide that kind of converter and I am not sure if you should wish they do. Just look what they have done to Mathcad when they "developed" Prime.

BTW, why do you want to switch over to Prime? Why not look for competitors if sticking with Mathcad 15 as long as possible is not an option? Sure there is no 1:1 replacement for Mathcad, and you probably can't make use of Mathcad sheets you developed in the past and have to recreate them in a new software from scratch. But as you also experienced, the same may be true with Prime. Many older sheets require manual rework after conversion, some quite a lot of work and some may not run at all in Prime because of missing features.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

This converter could potentially be used as a base for creating an xmcd to MathML export function.

Success!
Luc

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

I'm not at all convinced by the 'proof' you provide for difference in conversion. Assuming your source sheet for conversion is a .xmcd file:

Open your mathcad 15, open your source sheet, calculate it and then save the file as an .xmcdz file.

Now close Mathcad 15.

Now repeat the first action, but save the file to a different name (but still a .xmcdz file).

Check the file sizes...

I bet that this way you'll show that even your source sheet for the conversion 'is different'.

Success!
Luc

MR_9994284
4-Participant
(To:LucMeekes)

As requested I run the script and stored it under different name.

Here is the result:

MC15 in Prime 7 Converter - Comparision of several conversions2.png

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

QED

(and that's not Quantum Electro-Dynamics, but latin: Quod Erat Demonstrandum).

Luc

MR_9994284
4-Participant

tbh:

I never expected this. but i saw it.

nevertheless Prime does not support all my needed features.

@ptc:

I want to see the schedule from PTC when Prime offers all possibilities / features from MC15.

I want to see the schedule from PTC when Prime offers all possibilities / features from MC15.

So do we!!

Top Tags