cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Extra Components and Controls

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Extra Components and Controls

Here's a useful collection of scripted components and controls. They allow you to do things in Mathcad that are otherwise difficult or impossible. These also serve as examples for someone that wants to write their own. I wrote some of these, but not all of them.

See also here for functions for date and time handling that are based on scripted components:

Date Calendar and Time functions.mcd

See also here for how to save the state of controls and scripted components:

Saving the state of controls.zip

Updates:

Versions 2 through 10: Various things I didn't bother to tell anyone about

Version 11, Jan 04 2011: Added a button to execute a series of shell (a.k.a. DOS) commands. There was already a function for this, but not a button.

Version 13, Feb 28 2013. Added scrolbars and sliders that can be either linear or logarithmic.

Version 14, Nov 14 2014. Improved the dynamically filled listboxes to take a scalar input for a single element list.

Richard

25 REPLIES 25

Get runtime error when opening.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:RichardJ)

Which version of Mathcad are you using?

Does it give an error immediately you open it, or only when you scroll down to a certain point?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Mine automatically crashes when opening. Using Mathcad 14.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Just to be clear, it's the Mathcad file, not the zip file, that is the problem, correct?

I just uploaded the same file to the Collab. Could you try downloading it from there and let me know if it's OK.

http://collab.mathsoft.com/~Mathcad2000/read?135147,12

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Have just downloaded from the Collab with the same result - Runtime error upon opening.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

OK. Thanks. A few more questions:

Which flavor of Mathcad?

When you open it you should get a message asking if you want to disable the scripted objects. Does it get this far when opening? If so, what happens if you disable all the components?

Mathcad Version 14, It does not get to the message about scripted objests.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Which version of 14?

Apologies, Mathcad, version 14.0.0.163 [build 701291152]

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

That may be the problem. Download and install the service release for 14.0 M020 if you are a single user or 14.0 M030 (NOT M035 which has a very bad bug!) if you are an Enterprise user.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Using M14 14.0.0.63

Don't even get to the message crashes immediately.

Thanks Richard, that was the problem, upgraded and all is right with the world.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

You need to get your rather draconian sounding IT group to install the service release. While they are at it, they should install Filzip. It's free, even for commercial use.

do you need some VBscript runtime libraries for this to work. or excel?

Using Mathcad 14.0.0.163

Not applicable

You need to have the latest update for M14 - M14 020 I think.

Mike

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

do you need some VBscript runtime libraries for this to work. or excel?

Using Mathcad 14.0.0.163

No. VBscript comes with XP  and later versions of Windows. If you are using 14.0 download and apply the latest service release. If you are a single user that is M020, if you are an Enterprise user it is M030 (do NOT get M035 - it has a very bad bug!)

Richard, thanks for the document Mathcad!

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Richard have you recently added any features?

Mike

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

What do you mean by "recently"? I just added one component to the end of the document that gets the current window parameters. See Ambient properties of the MathCad environment

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

What do you mean by "recently"? I just added one component to the end of the document that gets the current window parameters. See Ambient properties of the MathCad environment

That must be it then. I had a notification that you had modified the component. Sorry, lazy of me asking instead of looking.

Mike

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Sorry, lazy of me asking instead of looking.

If I modify it and upload a new version the modification may not be at the end of the document (for example, I might put a new component next to other similar components) so figuring it out by looking might not be so easy. Maybe in future I'll be less lazy, and write a comment about what the change was

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Maybe in future I'll be less lazy, and write a comment about what the change was

I'll keep being lazy then

Mike

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I'll keep being lazy then

I think you just got the better of that deal

Not applicable

the script from Extra Components.mcd.zip has modified my computer. 

The menu of practically all applications have been masked.

what is this?

Is that a virus?

either it had the virus or caught one, that's terrible, I advise the readers not to download it.

kar

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

That is not possible. I just downloaded the copy that is here, and the size is identical, to the byte, to the one I uploaded. So nothing has been hacked. There is nothing in any of those scripts that can modifiy your computer (beyond writing some text files to your hard drive, anyway). Which script do you believe changed something?

There are also a great many other people that have downloaded that file since February, and if anything in it could modify computer settings I'm sure they would have posted something about that.

Top Tags