Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEM: Variable Section: Fixed End Moments: Tier 3

Highlighted

Today we start definition of Tier 3 end fixity moments including specific definition of the variable section own weight, so allowing for more exact analyses. Since only fixity moments are to be re-stated work won�t be much and we will be able to more properly define problems.

As a remembrance,
 sheets having an 1 can only treat uniform loads on the full length of the member
 sheets having a 2 can treat any number of trapecial loads
 sheets having a 3 (the Tier 3 in construction) will have built-in definition for own weight
 (all tiers can have any number of point loads)

I have captured an ERROR that slept dormant in the evaluation of some Local Stiffness Matrices for the general straight planeframe elements. It consist on keeping the area of member of the originating sheet that I used as a template to change to the new desired one by overwriting. I had run the sheets and the matrices went symmetrical so I didn�t noticed failure. That in some cases the sheet went to give a solution (where I think it shouldn�t) must warn us of wary management of pointers in Mcad. I dare to infer that some of the failures I observe in Mcad are related to bad management of pointers, both within it and in relation with the Windows environment. It seems it kept stored but not visible values of the underlying �template� sheet. I don�t want to give it further consideration now but be aware of this kind of problems occurring.

Today I post the modified corrected local stiffness matrix evaluations, which affect to

Composite on Double Tee
Composite on Box
Bridge Box

Please download them and discard the old versions.

I am sorry by any inconvenience caused by this but you see these sheets are being served as soon as built and the whole FEM thing is in construction.

A further note is that the FEM sheets don�t include checks for no negative dimensions to appear upon some automatical definitions, so ensure by inspection you are getting a shape consistent with the definitions of the kind of shape (see in FEM_0) at any point in the beam, otherwise applicability won�t be possible.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Today Tier 3 for Double Tee and Box (typically steel) shapes
Highlighted

Today I post all remaining shapes (composite on double tee and on box and "bridge box") as of FEM_0 definition. With that posted and minor modifications a wide set of planeframes with members having variable section can be solved using the Warren example for assemblage. As said I have the intention of doing some samples.

Since the fixed end moments of tier 3 have all of those tiers 1 and 2 you can discard these is so want.
Announcements