cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Find y and relace with y(x)

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

Find y and relace with y(x)

Find y and relace with y(x).

I would like to do it but I have as a result not a function y with the x argument but a variable with a not a standard name - y(x).

Is it an error or not an error!? In tradition Mathcad and in Mathcad Prime.

Try please.

There is not a lot but some tasks where we would like to replace a variable with function.

6 REPLIES 6

You can type y(x) into the workspace, cut this (Ctrl-X), use Find to find y and then replace by hand (Ctrl-V). Not as good as being able to use Find and Replace directly, admittedly, but not a big hassle, especially as it's not something that is likely to be done very often.

I'd say this is low priority for Prime - there are many more important items that need fixing.

Alan

AlanStevens wrote:

You can type y(x) into the workspace, cut this (Ctrl-X), use Find to find y and then replace by hand (Ctrl-V). Not as good as being able to use Find and Replace directly, admittedly, but not a big hassle, especially as it's not something that is likely to be done very often.

I'd say this is low priority for Prime - there are many more important items that need fixing.

Alan

Alan,

I'm sure you're right when you say there are other things that need fixing first (I don't have Prime 2), but I have a long-standing request to improve Mathcad's Find and Replace facilty to be something far more practical. A user should be able to type an expression into the find & replace boxes in the same way that they enter expressions in a worksheet and to replace expressions. This goes for not just Valery's example, but also for more complex expressions and changing the Math Style of a name.

I've also asked for the ability to delay evaluation of an expression, which might have made the use of substitute a bit easier.

Stuart

I think it might be possible to meet Valery's need by using a component that modifies the XML of an expression ... not a simple task, but I think it could be done. It would probably mean tagging expressions that either need changing or shouldn't be changed. Possibly, a listbox could populate itself with a list of all instances of the desired variable / term, allowing the user to select/de-select instances for replacement. I haven't tried it; something for the Scripting and XML Experts, I think.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:StuartBruff)

A user should be able to type an expression into the find & replace boxes in the same way that they enter expressions in a worksheet and to replace expressions. This goes for not just Valery's example, but also for more complex expressions and changing the Math Style of a name.

I'll second that.

But before they spend time on it, or any other enhancement that we don't have in MC15, I would prefer they first inplement everything we do have in MC15.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:RichardJ)

Richard Jackson wrote:

A user should be able to type an expression into the find & replace boxes in the same way that they enter expressions in a worksheet and to replace expressions. This goes for not just Valery's example, but also for more complex expressions and changing the Math Style of a name.

I'll second that.

But before they spend time on it, or any other enhancement that we don't have in MC15, I would prefer they first inplement everything we do have in MC15.

You mean as opposed to outplementing things?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:StuartBruff)

Ha Ha! Very good.

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/38-1286-33171/Jester.gif

You just earned yourself your own animated Gif: Animated Gifs

Thanks to all!

I have finded this problem (y -> y(x)) when I have solved this task by using not numerical but symbolical math - solving two system with of each two non linear equations:

Erlangen.png

Top Tags