cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Finding Centroids

DanMarotta
2-Guest

Finding Centroids

Using Mathcad to find the centroid location of general shapes.

How'd he do? Would you take a different approach in finding centroids?

36 REPLIES 36
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Cheers.

Mike

A little more, if anybody cares:

The Yt an Yb must be functions; single value for each x.

If the desired axis results in multi valued expressions, you can try to find a rotated and or translated axis
that will produce funcitons, and then transform the results back to the desired axis.

You can also extedn to calculate Ixx, Iyy and Ixy, and then transform these as well.

Wayne

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:wayne)

Nice example wayne.

I am struggling to work out how to calculate the centroid of the shape in my example2 using integrals.

Would you be able to take a look, as you look much more competent using this method then me.

Mike

Mike,

The problem is that you have vertical lines, i.e., not single valued functions. When you use linterp, what value is it suppose to return
when x occurs at a step?

So, one way to proceed is to introduce a slight error in the data, very small and of no pratical significance. I did this in the attached.

Another way, which is a little more work, is to define the top line using a program and using, for example, less than and equal or greater than
combinations such that the function is single valued.

Wayne

PS:

I am having trouble getting my email address off my posting. I tried the proceedure in the recent thread on this, guess I will try again. Any
other suggestions on this,

Thanks

Hi Wayne, I took care of this for you. You had your email address as your Display Name. I change it to simply "wayne." Feel free to update it to whatever you want though, Change Display Name

-Dan

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Cheers for looking at the problem, I will have a look tonight.

PS:

I am having trouble getting my email address off my posting. I tried the proceedure in the recent thread on this, guess I will try again. Any
other suggestions on this,

Your e-mail address is shown when I received the last notification.

Mike

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

As Dan says above he has changed your display name to wayne.

Screen shot.jpg

Mike

Top Tags