cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Fraction and Unit Fractions.

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Fraction and Unit Fractions.

Hello, Everyone.

Fraction+and+Unit+Fractions+.PNG

Thanks in advance for the time and help.

Best Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:lvl107)

Happy to be able to post again (although severely hampered by this "moderation" delay), here are some more solutions to your third task.

LoiLe3.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

May be this is the "help":

N0N1N2.png

Valery, try your method to find solutions for Loi's third problem 😉

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Guess you would have to write some routines to try "all" possibilities.

Using a generic brute force program I wrote some time ago I found some solutions for your first two problems.

Solutions with the smallest possible integers are

BrtFrc1.png

but if you allow bigger integers you get a lot more solutions. Below are the solutions for task 1 with integers from 1 to 200 and task to for the range 1 to 100.

BrtFrc2.png

As for the third problem, the denominator 2011 is a prime and so without amore intelligent algorithm we would have to try all numbers from 1 to 2011 at least. Probably there would be no solution found and we should try up to integer multiples of 2011. Trying all numbers from 1 to 2011 would mean we have to try 4^2011=5*10^29 times. Based on the timing with a smaller range this would take on my machine about 10^18 years!!

So problem 3 would require more thinking and less brute force.

Addendum: Here is one (of sure many) solution for your third problem, found by a different method, of course

BrtFrc3.png

Thats my second post after PTC introduced its "moderation" of all posts. The first was sent 6 hours ago and still is not open for public. Could image that if that kind of moderation stays, that I will go.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Happy to be able to post again (although severely hampered by this "moderation" delay), here are some more solutions to your third task.

LoiLe3.png

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Hello, again.

Fraction+and+Unit+Fractions+%282%29.PNG

Thanks in advance for the time and help.

Best Regards.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

In the meantime you should know that Mathcads solve block can hardly be convinced to give integer solutions and you would have to write some program routines to get solutions - which is sometimes possible, sometimes not.

Why don't you attach a sheet to show what programs you have tried so far?

Top Tags