cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Getting a Licence After Hard Drive repair

MikeCamp
1-Newbie

Getting a Licence After Hard Drive repair

My hard drive had a serious error and needed to be wiped and everything reinstalled. This means that Mathcad will no longer work as the maximum number of licences has been used (i.e. 1). It is not obvious anywhere what can be done about it. I am about to feedback on whether I think mathcad may be used in a new course we are about to teach and my hunch is because of the weird licencing system and the fact that if a machine fails it seems that a licence is used up the answer is probably no.

Is anyone aware of a way I can get the licence "transferred" to what is the same hard disk on the same computer but in a different point of time?

3 REPLIES 3

I'm not sure about student editions, but on the commercial versions the license server for windows uses the mac address. So, if it's the same computer, the old license file should work.

To get the license transfered to a different computer you have to call PTC's license management people.

It is the academic version and unfortunately despite being the same computer and the same hard drive it is saying the number of licences has expired so will not run. Have tried filling in an online form but have had no response. I think there are other software solutions though and the week is nearly over so PTC's deadline has expired!

Mike, it appears from your post that you are running a Single User version of Mathcad. We can generate a new license file for you today - please email your product code and computer serial number to mathcadlicensing [at] ptc [dot] com. If any additional information is needed to solve your problem, it will be communicated to you directly through that email address. Thank you.

Top Tags