cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Getting error as no solution was found. Try changing the guess value

vveeran
4-Participant

Getting error as no solution was found. Try changing the guess value

Hi all,

I am getting  error as no solution was found. Try changing the guess value TOL or CTOL.

could someone help me.

I attached my code below,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:vveeran)

Your formula seems to be returning a complex result.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Your formula seems to be returning a complex result.

vveeran
4-Participant
(To:MikeArmstrong)

Thank you for your answer.

How can I avoid getting the complex result in this formula.

What parameters do I need to change.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Have a look and see if the attached helps. I have changed Find for Minerr so the solve block converges. However, your answer changes when the estimate for I is changed. Are you sure your formula and inputs are correct.

Mike

vveeran
4-Participant
(To:MikeArmstrong)

Thank you  @Mike Armstrong

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

You are welcome. I am sure one of the other users will provide a more detailed comprehensive answer.

Mike

Mike Armstrong wrote:

You are welcome. I am sure one of the other users will provide a more detailed comprehensive answer.

I don't know about "comprehensive", but there's a discontinuity at x1 = 300, after which the exponential goes positive and rises into the numeric stratosphere pretty rapidly.  Hence, you are right to wonder about the validity of the equations if x1 is meant to have values >= 300.  The reason Find won't work is that there doesn't appear to be a real solution that makes the expression equal to zero, and starting from x1 > 300 is going to give the numerical solver kittens.  Solving the expression symbolically for x1 gives a nice equation involving LambertW functions.

Stuart

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:StuartBruff)

Really nice work Stuart.

Hi Stuart. Also, without found a change of sign, can't be sure if there are a real root. This is the same, but more compact.

Clipboard01.gif

vveeran
4-Participant
(To:AlvaroDíaz)

Thank you all for your valuable comments.

Top Tags