cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Getting the maximum value of a function?

cvestermark
1-Newbie

Getting the maximum value of a function?

Hi!

I am plotting the angular difference between the input and output shaft (beta) of a universal joint at an angle (alpha).
How can I get the maximum value of the function beta? (where beta is a function of phi1 and phi2, and phi2 a function of phi1)

I am using Mathcad prime 3.0.

Best regards
Christer Vestermark

The relevant equations:

formulas.png

The plot, where the relevant function beta is purple.

plot.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Christer Vestermark wrote:

Thank you for the answer, but maybe I should have been more specific in my question.

I have just started using mathcad, and am aware of that this particular problem can be easily solved in different other ways.

What I really wonder is if it is possible directly obtain min/max values for an interval of a function that can be plotted.

Best regards

Christer

How to do it with function was shown by Dmitri. You need a guess and you get just one value.

Another option would be to turn beta into a vector and use the built-in max() function.

Maybe the attached picture helps. I am using a dirty undocumented trick to turn a range (phi) into a vector (phi.vec)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi, Christer,

in your case you can use beta as a function of single var phi1 instead of two vars.

Note that result depends on the guess value of phi1 (try 1 instead of 5).

optimize.png

Thank you for the answer, but maybe I should have been more specific in my question.

I have just started using mathcad, and am aware of that this particular problem can be easily solved in different other ways.

What I really wonder is if it is possible directly obtain min/max values for an interval of a function that can be plotted.

Best regards

Christer

Christer Vestermark wrote:

Best regards

Christer

How to do it with function was shown by Dmitri. You need a guess and you get just one value.

Another option would be to turn beta into a vector and use the built-in max() function.

Maybe the attached picture helps. I am using a dirty undocumented trick to turn a range (phi) into a vector (phi.vec)

Thanks to your example I could obtain the desired plot.

The vectorization and the lookup function solved the problem.

Thank you very much! 😃

Best regards
Christer

Top Tags