cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Given/Solve error - result returned too large to display

AlanElmer
1-Newbie

Given/Solve error - result returned too large to display

I am working with some students to try and solve a system of three equations using a Give/Solve block. Mathcad 14 is solving, but we are getting an error that says, "The symbolic result returned is too large to display, but it can be used in subsequent calculations if assigned to a function or variable."

Can someone help us out?

Thanks,

Alan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:AlanElmer)

Alan Elmer wrote:

I am working with some students to try and solve a system of three equations using a Give/Solve block. Mathcad 14 is solving, but we are getting an error that says, "The symbolic result returned is too large to display, but it can be used in subsequent calculations if assigned to a function or variable."

Can someone help us out?

Thanks,

Alan

Alan,

Break it down see attached.

Mike

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:AlanElmer)

Alan Elmer wrote:

Can someone help us out?

Thanks,

Alan

Alan,

Break it down see attached.

Mike

Perfect!!! Thanks for uploading the file, that made life much simpler!!!.

Alan

*.zip problem is unviable.

As soon as the Mathcad zip is open it crucifies Mathcad

it returns Mathcad and all the box to the gear speed

fractional 0 [zer]., like a tired turtle !

jmG

Didn't understand your response, but the attached .gif made sense.

Thanks,

Alan

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:jeanGiraud)

Nobody else is having these zip problems. What are you using to unzip the files?

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Richard Jackson wrote:

Nobody else is having these zip problems. What are you using to unzip the files?

Richard,

I've had the zip problems. The particular issue I get is that even after extracting the file, when I double click it, I find that while mathcad comes up I get and empty worksheet showing, as if there was some corruption. Part of the problem is achieving a solid repeatability (and remembering the steps I used when it happens). I'm using winzip 6.2

Philip

OK. I am using Filzip. It's free, and handles many types of archive. If I click on the link in the forum it opens in Filzip. If I double click on the Mathcad file in Filzip it opens in Mathcad. I have only had a problem with one file, so perhaps it's worth trying Filzip. If you have problems with that then at least we can rule out the Zip software.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Richard Jackson wrote:

OK. I am using Filzip. It's free, and handles many types of archive. If I click on the link in the forum it opens in Filzip. If I double click on the Mathcad file in Filzip it opens in Mathcad. I have only had a problem with one file, so perhaps it's worth trying Filzip. If you have problems with that then at least we can rule out the Zip software.

Richard,

As you probably know, If you're using Windows XP, then your operating system has built-in support for Zip files.

Right click on the zipped file and 'open with' 'Compressed Folders'.

Works fine for me every time without the need of additional software.

Mike

Thanks Philip,

The problem is worst than what you describe . Many of the *.zip don't even download, maybe because they don't upload from the originator. The "post message", I have just classifiedd in the "catatonic syndrome" and the *.zip too. I use Winzip [like you]. I won't even call Planet PTC a beta version. Just too bad because the compobox is fine, but that's not enough for collaboration and work sheet review and exchange.

jmG

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Jean,

I also use Winzip, but as my reply to Richard suggests, Winzip is not required to unzip files if you are running Windows XP.

As of yet I haven't experienced a single problem downloading the *.zip files. I have had problems uploading files but have put the problems down to poor Internet speed onsite.

Mike

Mike,

I have explained the upload/download problem THAT IS: the upload does works when it wants, when it does not want you get a blank Planet Ptc nothing in it . Conclusively, this confirms the private notification from John to me "Jean, your 30 pages work sheet was empty". So, Jean is an idiot, because he has problem with download, John is an idiot because he gets my 30 pages work sheet blank. That Eden, Richard yourself have not experienced download problems does not mean there is no problem with the download , otherwise it would mean that those having problems are idiots .

The upload and the download are scrap ... end of it .

Nice to know you don't have problem.

I konw how to manage the zip/unzip in Windows XP.

Worst of it is " This [then download] contains secure and unsecured items".

I refuse to see unsecured items in my box !

That was noticed by another collab [no recollection of the collab name]

Jean

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Worst of it is " This [then download] contains secure and unsecured items".

I refuse to see unsecured items in my box !

That was noticed by another collab [no recollection of the collab name]

Philip, for one. I don't see that because I use Firefox, not IE. I wonder if the download/upload problem also only occurs with IE?

Well, I use IE and FF and Chrome, and have seen no major differences for this site.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:IRstuff)

Eden Mei wrote:

Well, I use IE and FF and Chrome, and have seen no major differences for this site.

Another great theory goes down in flames!

>Philip, for one. I don't see that because I use Firefox, not IE. I wonder if the download/upload problem also only occurs with IE?< [Richard]

Good question. I'm XP family IE.

and don't intend to go to anything else.

If it would be true that Planet PTC is not IE

then make it, end of it.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Richard,

I can also confirm that I use IE in work and FF at home without any download issue's.

Mike

MIke Armstrong wrote:

Jean,

I also use Winzip, but as my reply to Richard suggests, Winzip is not required to unzip files if you are running Windows XP.

As of yet I haven't experienced a single problem downloading the *.zip files. I have had problems uploading files but have put the problems down to poor Internet speed onsite.

Mike

Nice enough all of us reporting the "pest" . By now, Dan is scratching his right ear with two left hands because you report no download problem but upload. My upload problems are : "Post message" with or without work sheet and get either "Opps this link is broken". or simply the Planet PTC blank sheet, which blank sheet sometimes goes by clicking on the edit line http:\ ... and it goes. The detail is there: if that blank message has a work sheet attached, it could very well be the work sheet is turned blank too. That would explain John's private notification " Jean, your 30 pages work sheet is empty". Even if the upload looks normal, how can we be certain it takes the work sheet as is, or uploads an empty work sheet ? What's your opinion Watson ? I have never experienced internet problems with high speed connection since I'm on high speed. Bell Canada is reputed "flawless", a big business for big business users.

Jean

How did you know I was left-handed? I am scratching my head though. I opened Mathcad worksheets in FF, IE and Chrome with no problem whatsoever. I can't get any one here to replicate what you're experiencing either. Could the problem lie with your PC and the way it tasks processes? With Mathcad 11?

It's hard to pinpoint since the behavior is so sporadic

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:DanMarotta)

I am wondering if this business with "This page contains both secure and nonsecure items" is the clue to the problem. Both Philip and Jean see this, and both Philip and Jean have the download/upload problems. The message can be eliminated by slightly compromising the security in IE:

In Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, click the Security tab; make sure that in "Select a zone..." window that Internet is selected.

Click Custom Level and scroll down about half way to "Display mixed content" in the Miscellaneous section.

Change it from Prompt to Enable.

Click OK, Yes, and OK. The change should take effect immediately.

Maybe that will also fix the download/upload probems

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member

Just done some more checking....

I down loaded the file 0_Image Resolution_layman.mcd.zip both at home and at work.

At home, using winzip 6.2, the contents are extracted as a zero length file, wether by extracting or by double click. The file name is carried across but zero content!

At work, using a newer (recent) winzip, the file extracts OK and both the extracted file and a double click will drive mathcad (v11) quite happily and show the worksheet.

I also emailed the works zip file to home and did a "Beyond Compare" and the two (zip) files are identical.

I now tried (at home) Filzip (V 3.06 compile date 06/29/2006) and extracted the file with it - Voila - It worked.

So its older versions of winzip, which aren't reading the new versions properly ! ! - a nasty backward compatibility issue.

Looks like you will need to adjust the option on the forum's "zipping" programme - the best option being not to zip mcd, xmcd and xmcdz files!

Philip

Thanks for the trick Richard,

You will have to add vinaigrette to your salad. I'm not willing to override what Microsoft considers "unsecured". But thanks anyway. I have no problem, PTC has problems, and I'm not good enough to band aid Planet PTC. We aren't married for the best and the worst until RIP.

>Could the problem lie with your PC and the way it tasks processes? With Mathcad 11?

It's hard to pinpoint since the behavior is so sporadic

Could the problem lie with your PC and the way it tasks processes? With Mathcad 11?

<

Dan,

My e-machine XP and Mathcad 11 have been perfect companions, and are still perfect companions. It's only that Planet PTC is incompatible with that platform. My XP came with the Microsoft original version. My system is virgin of any crap and cracks: only Mathcad 11 and Mathematica 4.0. I'm putting all these comments for whoever to understand that Planet PTC is not yet tuned, very invasive, low efficiency for collaboration . Start by the spell check, make it limitless. A poor spell checker, I can live with that. You see, not demanding much, one by one. Next: no matter if this zip or that zip will cure the problems, get rid of zipping Mathcad work sheets . If the work sheet can be corrected is forces to resave and rezip , for what ? nothing because there is about nothing to zip in a Mathcad work sheet. You understand what I mean: Mathcad 11 saves only in Mathcad versions it does not rezip.

One thing is sure, we all want to go to Rome: Richard with a fast donkey, Jean by TGV,,,, plenty left : boat, airplane, satellites, geese, turtles ... holy spirit

Jean

Using WinZip 14.5 !!!???

No problems with upload, download, posting, whatever. The only gripes are:

> site seems to log me off after some duration of inactivity

> Mathcad overview page has no way to mark "read"

> "trending" thread display seems pointless

> somehow, people are posting files as "documents" which does not allow for replies, only comments

TTFN

Alan,

While trying to read some reply on that, this morning, the click didn't send me to the appropriate reply but back to your very original request, to which I'm actually replying. Nothing wrong with your symbolic attempt, nothing wrong because it would plug automatically the coefficients of the unknowns. That is college level, not a critic. The other way that is a lot more advanced and simpler in term of the burden to setup a model solution, this simpler way is applying the rref(,) matrix solver. In the attached, I have faked the valued coefficients of each term as a demo. However, the setup is like a model solution, generalised and valid for all cases, whether the system may have different solutions [unique, infinitely many ... ]. From the educative step where you are actually to the new step the rref solver is driving the classroom, this new step is also educative and will be very profitable for the future. Things didn't grow wings since my times, but they have moved quite a distance and available to a wider class of users than it was 3 decades ago ! Visit the work sheet posted this morning "The rref solver". Look how easy it is to administrate a collection of n x n system.

jmG

Thanks for the reply. It has been a long time since I have done LU decomposition. Using rref() seems to only work numerically and not symbolically. The exercise was symbolic, but I will show them rref use where they can check their answers.

Thanks,

Alan

Top Tags