cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Given/Solve error - result returned too large to display

SOLVED
Highlighted

Re: Given/Solve error - result returned too large to display

I am wondering if this business with "This page contains both secure and nonsecure items" is the clue to the problem. Both Philip and Jean see this, and both Philip and Jean have the download/upload problems. The message can be eliminated by slightly compromising the security in IE:

In Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, click the Security tab; make sure that in "Select a zone..." window that Internet is selected.

Click Custom Level and scroll down about half way to "Display mixed content" in the Miscellaneous section.

Change it from Prompt to Enable.

Click OK, Yes, and OK. The change should take effect immediately.

Maybe that will also fix the download/upload probems

Highlighted

Just done some more checking....

I down loaded the file 0_Image Resolution_layman.mcd.zip both at home and at work.

At home, using winzip 6.2, the contents are extracted as a zero length file, wether by extracting or by double click. The file name is carried across but zero content!

At work, using a newer (recent) winzip, the file extracts OK and both the extracted file and a double click will drive mathcad (v11) quite happily and show the worksheet.

I also emailed the works zip file to home and did a "Beyond Compare" and the two (zip) files are identical.

I now tried (at home) Filzip (V 3.06 compile date 06/29/2006) and extracted the file with it - Voila - It worked.

So its older versions of winzip, which aren't reading the new versions properly ! ! - a nasty backward compatibility issue.

Looks like you will need to adjust the option on the forum's "zipping" programme - the best option being not to zip mcd, xmcd and xmcdz files!

Philip

Highlighted

Thanks for the trick Richard,

You will have to add vinaigrette to your salad. I'm not willing to override what Microsoft considers "unsecured". But thanks anyway. I have no problem, PTC has problems, and I'm not good enough to band aid Planet PTC. We aren't married for the best and the worst until RIP.

Highlighted

>Could the problem lie with your PC and the way it tasks processes? With Mathcad 11?

It's hard to pinpoint since the behavior is so sporadic

Could the problem lie with your PC and the way it tasks processes? With Mathcad 11?

<

Dan,

My e-machine XP and Mathcad 11 have been perfect companions, and are still perfect companions. It's only that Planet PTC is incompatible with that platform. My XP came with the Microsoft original version. My system is virgin of any crap and cracks: only Mathcad 11 and Mathematica 4.0. I'm putting all these comments for whoever to understand that Planet PTC is not yet tuned, very invasive, low efficiency for collaboration . Start by the spell check, make it limitless. A poor spell checker, I can live with that. You see, not demanding much, one by one. Next: no matter if this zip or that zip will cure the problems, get rid of zipping Mathcad work sheets . If the work sheet can be corrected is forces to resave and rezip , for what ? nothing because there is about nothing to zip in a Mathcad work sheet. You understand what I mean: Mathcad 11 saves only in Mathcad versions it does not rezip.

One thing is sure, we all want to go to Rome: Richard with a fast donkey, Jean by TGV,,,, plenty left : boat, airplane, satellites, geese, turtles ... holy spirit

Jean

Highlighted

Alan,

While trying to read some reply on that, this morning, the click didn't send me to the appropriate reply but back to your very original request, to which I'm actually replying. Nothing wrong with your symbolic attempt, nothing wrong because it would plug automatically the coefficients of the unknowns. That is college level, not a critic. The other way that is a lot more advanced and simpler in term of the burden to setup a model solution, this simpler way is applying the rref(,) matrix solver. In the attached, I have faked the valued coefficients of each term as a demo. However, the setup is like a model solution, generalised and valid for all cases, whether the system may have different solutions [unique, infinitely many ... ]. From the educative step where you are actually to the new step the rref solver is driving the classroom, this new step is also educative and will be very profitable for the future. Things didn't grow wings since my times, but they have moved quite a distance and available to a wider class of users than it was 3 decades ago ! Visit the work sheet posted this morning "The rref solver". Look how easy it is to administrate a collection of n x n system.

jmG

Highlighted

Thanks for the reply. It has been a long time since I have done LU decomposition. Using rref() seems to only work numerically and not symbolically. The exercise was symbolic, but I will show them rref use where they can check their answers.

Thanks,

Alan

Announcements