cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Global stiffness 6x6

SPRstructur
15-Moonstone

Global stiffness 6x6

Dear all 
please create automatically Global Stiffness 6x6? as pic and attachment mathcad below
Thank you

phearunstructur_0-1588913184653.pngphearunstructur_1-1588913466706.pngphearunstructur_2-1588913909764.pngphearunstructur_3-1588913992770.png

18 REPLIES 18

Hi,

Messed about with this a long time ago.  Came to the conclusion that a professional software suite like SpaceGass, Microstran etc were better.  The scripting in the file chooses steel sections.

The file does all you asked.

Cheers

Terry

Dear  

it can not open it

phearunstructur_0-1588987920756.png

Hi,

It is an old Mathcad file and is in a very old format *.mcd.  

I have resaved as Mathcad 15 *.xmcd.

You need to convert Mathcad 15 *.xmcd to Prime *.mcdx with the supplied converter.  

The converter is on the ribbon header at Input/Output | PTC Mathcad Worksheets | XMCD,MCD Converter.

Not sure how the converter will go I leave that to you.

Cheers

Terry

Hi,

If you still have difficulties here is a pdf.

Hi  terryhendicott

honestly, I want to calculate stiffness of example 4 to understand dynamic lesson in attachment below

can you calculate Global stiffness as example below?

phearunstructur_0-1588992650649.png

phearunstructur_1-1588992956035.png

Hi,

My mathcad sheet can calculate the global frame stiffness matrix for the plane frame as underlined below with the 3 degrees of freedom, horizontal, vertical, and rotation.

You would then need to make the adjustments to it as described in your example by assuming rigid diaphragm action of the floors and condensing vertical displacement.  The relevant mass matrix also needs to be assembled.  This is not done in my sheet.

Capture.JPG

I said before commercial software suites are available to undertake such analysis and most engineering companies have access to same.  The time it takes to get Mathcad working if paid at engineering charge out rates you pay for the commercial software suites.  Strand7 , SAP 2000, Ansys can do this type of time domain analysis.  If you are in an academic domain one of them is probably available to you.

Not to give up hope if you still want to use Mathcad 15 you should also check out the site http://www.dynamassist.com/

Cheers

Terry

Hi,

Prime example for your frame.

For the calculation, the following additional files are required:

• Asw_UB_Section.prn
  • UB_Desc.csv

Hi

Hi

Sorry about that.

Had to rename the prn file to txt to upload here.

You need to adjust that back.

Cheers

Terry

terryhendicott

what file use for?

I'm probably missing the point here, but is the attached along the lines of what you want?

2020 05 09 C.png

Stuart

Hi

The submitter has asked two questions the second being how to get the global stiffness of a frame with 10 nodes and 12 members then condense that to the simplified form in his second example.   My answer shows how to get this global stiffness matrix.

Capture.JPG

Cheers

Terry

I thought it looked a little too simple! 🙂

Stuart

(I've only got Prime Express, so have to play within its limits, ie no programming or importing of mcd/xmcd files)

Many thank for trying find solutions for me 

Hi,

I have changed the file to Prime.

I have fixed the plotting of input, still have to fix plotting of results.

I have shown how to extract the horizontal deflections under horizontal force at each storey into a smaller matrix delta H.  

I have shown how to use this sampled deflection matrix to get the required K.E

Capture.JPG

terryhendicott  great work 😍😍😍👍👍👍

Many thank

Hi,

I have added some wording to make understanding the file easier.

Cheers

Terry

Top Tags