cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Global stiffness of flexural Member &Structural Analysis

SPRstructur
15-Moonstone

Global stiffness of flexural Member &Structural Analysis

Dear everyone,
Do you have Mathcad Sheet to calculate external force of continuous beam analysis ? Please share me
And could you guide me how to calculate Global Matrix Stiffness of flexural Member in mathcad?
Many thank
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Now with the file enclosed.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hi,

It is recommended in engineering practice to use any of a number of frame engineering packages such as Sap, Staad Pro, Spacegass, Microstran, Strand 7.  These all have excellent user interfaces that minimise the time of input, analysis, and viewing results.  This includes input of sections of steel and concrete members.  Most have design elements so you can check or design members to meet the desired input.  It is best to not reinvent the wheel.  Prices are not to onerous for an engineer in practice.

I include a simple frame analysis in Mathcad that will handle a continuous beam.

Thank u terryhendicott

I have use Sap2000. Do you have the book that relate to Beam Global stiffness matrix (More than 3 span) ?

Hi,

I own Microstran 3D frame suite, and Strand 7 (called Strauss 7 in Europe).  I have access to Staad Pro.

These are what I use for continuous beams as the input, verification, output is easier.

I do not use Mathcad for continuous beams.

Cheers

Hi,

Here is the plane frame provided before used for 3 continuous spans of circular pipe with a man standing in the middle of the middle span ( a point load).

This book would need more added to handle distributed loads.  

Cheers

Hi,

Now with the file enclosed.

Hi,

I have taken some time to add a few more comments on the workbook which will help your understanding of it.

Cheers

Thank you for help !
It hard to understand to find Global Matrix Stiffness,

Hi,

The beam stiffness matrices transformed to global coordinates are stored one a top the other in Kbg.

This is then used to assemble the global stiffness matrix Ksg.

Cheers

Top Tags