cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Hello; I'm trying to open a mathcad file that I've been working on for 2 weeks, but today the file does not open. Can anyone please help me? Thanks!!

lhernandez-2
1-Newbie

Hello; I'm trying to open a mathcad file that I've been working on for 2 weeks, but today the file does not open. Can anyone please help me? Thanks!!

This is the displayed message:

The file type is not supported. Log file is located at C:\ProgramData\PTEc\MathcadPrime\Logs\MathcadPrime_Exception_20170610_125046.log

14 REPLIES 14

Whats the size of the byte if you look at its information with explorer? Does it happen to be 0 bytes?

Does the logfile gives any clue as to what was going on?

In case the file is not zero bytes in length - are you allowed to post it here?

If yes - post it here, if no, try renaming the file to the extension *.zip an see if you can open it with any zip archiver (WinRAR, 7Zip, Winzip, ....)

Unfortunately, based on past experience, the file is probably trashed. Mathcad 15 sometimes corrupts files, but more often then not is does so in a way that most of the file is recoverable. When Prime corrupts a file it often fills the entire file with NULL characters, so there's nothing to recover. If you can, post the file here.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:lhernandez-2)

"If you can, post the file here."

That is: you post the Prime file (the one with extension .mcdx), not the .log file.

Hello!

Mathcad suddenly crashed with the file I last saved 1,5 h ago (not very well done, I know).

When I try to post you the file here, this appears:

The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type.

Is there any way I could get the file recovered?

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal
(To:PSuomela)

Put the Mathcad file in a compressed (zip) folder, then you can upload it.  This forum doesn't like Mathcad files to be uploaded directly.

As Richard already wrote, the chances to recover data from a damaged Prime file are very low.

You can attach mathcad files here only if you zip them first. Thats a bug in the settings of the forum software here and has nothing to do with the fact that your file is damaged.

Hi!

This is the compressed one. How does it look like?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Well, I have good news and bad news.

The good news (very good news, in fact), is that it's not just a pile of NULL characters. So most of the content is still there.

The bad news is that I do not know how to fix the file. This is the first corrupted Prime file I have seen that might actually be fixable, so it's a new problem for me.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:RichardJ)

It's interesting. which version of Prime are you using?

A .mcdx file is actually a zip file by another name. Change the extension to .zip, and you can uncompress it. What I have seen before when I have done that is a single XML file. In this case though, it unzips to an entire folder structure Smiley Surprised

Edit: I just created a test file in Prime 4.0, and uncompressed that. I get the same folder structure. So, based on that and the error message when I try to open your file, I think the problem may be no more than some corrupted header information.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Do you have active maintenance with PTC? If you do, they should be able to recover this file for you. 

Try this.  I don't have Prime 4 on my computer, so I can't check if it's working.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:MJG)

Does not successfully open in my Prime 4 express.

That's a bad sign.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:LucMeekes)

The log file complained:

"Exception data:
File being opened: Esimerkkilaskelmat129-20170914_183533.mcdx
Schema validation exception: The 'precision' attribute is invalid - The value '' is invalid according to its datatype 'Union' - The value '' is not valid according to any of the memberTypes of the union."

So:

There was an offending parameter in the worksheet.xml file, a couple of times: precision=""

I've set each to: precision="1".

Try the attached file (after unzipping the .mcdx file out of it.)

Success!
Luc

Try to use "Mathcad Support Center": http://support.ptc.com/support/mathcad_supportCenterOpt.htm

Top Tags