cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Help Converting File

sah2473
1-Newbie

Help Converting File

I need help converting this mathcad prime 2.0 file to a 1.0 file. 1.0 is what i have available to use. someone please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately I think that the conversion from P2 to P1 is not possible.

At least PTC has not provided any means to do so. Prime 2 is not able to save in any older format and the converter will only convert from MC15 and older to P2.

You could download and install Prime2. It will be fully functional for a month and then falls back to a crippled Express version which will refuse to handle solve blocks, symbolic math and whatever. So after 30 days you will still be able to view Prime2 files and if they don't use those "premium" features even work normally with them.

If it will be of any help to you, I can print the file to a pdf-file and attach it for you to retype. But I just see that its a 16 page file

Thank PTC for making things so easy for us

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

At least PTC has not provided any means to do so. Prime 2 is not able to save in any older format and the converter will only convert from MC15 and older to P2.

You could download and install Prime2. It will be fully functional for a month and then falls back to a crippled Express version which will refuse to handle solve blocks, symbolic math and whatever. So after 30 days you will still be able to view Prime2 files and if they don't use those "premium" features even work normally with them.

If it will be of any help to you, I can print the file to a pdf-file and attach it for you to retype. But I just see that its a 16 page file

Thank PTC for making things so easy for us

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

At least PTC has not provided any means to do so. Prime 2 is not able to save in any older format

This is a ridiculous restriction. I do not know of any oter piece of software that cannot save files to at least a few older formats. I have brought up the subject with PTC more than once, but have never found out what the reason is.

This is a ridiculous restriction.

Agreed, but I can understand it. Prime 1 and also P2 are that highly underdeveloped, so it probably wouldn't make much sense as of the big changes from version to version.

So neither P1 nor P2 should be used for real work and, to be honest, they never should have been released and sold. I always called them Prime 0.1 and 0.2 but even then I would have expected them to be able to read MC15 files directly w/o extra conversion.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

I would have expected them to be able to read MC15 files directly w/o extra conversion.

And write them too. I have wondered if this inability to write files in an older format is a deliberate "strategy" to make people buy the latest version. If so, then IMHO it's misguided and will likely cost them more sales than it will gain them.

I have wondered if this inability to write files in an older format is a deliberate "strategy" to make people buy the latest version. If so, then IMHO it's misguided and will likely cost them more sales than it will gain them.

PTCs strategy with Mathcad was quite strange from the very beginning - rigid and complicated licensing, no noticeable program development, bug fixes only for maintainance paying customers (with the exception of MC14 M020), ignoring customer wishes, etc. And then the release of a Mathcad Rebuild called Prime Version 1 that is that much inferior compared to its predecessor. Even if they are aiming at a different and new target audience - thats not really good marketing in my opinion.

Furthermore the miscarried "integration" of the old collab and a webpage which was a nightmare to navigate from the very beginning. Now they seem to be moving some content from the hard to find "Engineering section" of their website (which is only a small selection of what Mathsoft had offered) to the document section here in the forum. Static content to a dynamic platform - clever! I asked why and got the answer that its a decision from the marketing department because the Communities portal is much more accessed than the website - surprise, surprise!!

I am not against making selected and interesting documents, help files, how-to's, etc. available here in the forum, but this would require a somewhat different structure - at least a static anchor to start from.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:sah2473)

You can find in the attachment PDF and XPS version of this MP 2.0 worksheet for retyping.

P.S. You can install Mathcad Prime Express 2.0 for free and work with it: http://www.ptc.com/product/mathcad/free-trial/download/

Yes, the file seems to use nothing more than basic arithmetical operations and units and so it should be able to work with it in Prime2 Express, too.

I remember you had questions about programming loops about a month ago and you used Prime2 at that time. So even if your trial period is exceeded now, you should still be able to handle that file with the restricted Express version of Prime2.

If you intend to retype the sheet anyway, I may suggest to use Mathcad 15 instead of Prime 1. MC15 is supiriour to Prime 1 and Prime 2 and if you bought Prime1, you are entitled to download MC15 and use it with the same license file. Prime1 sure is a version one should keep away from if anyhow possible.

Top Tags