cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Help Newbie and Complex Numbers

StuartGregory
1-Newbie

Help Newbie and Complex Numbers

Hi All

I'm trying to write an equation where the co-efficient of the complex number 'i' is a variable. Tried

(G2 + C1.i)

But no joy - equally as bad is:

(G2 - (C1 + C2)i)

I don't want to keep changing the various coefficients manually and can't see any reason why it should be impossible for Mathcad to handle the general requirement.

Any suggestions? Can you put me right? I have tried reading the manual and Googling the situation but all examples 'convieniently' use numbers as the coefficient!

Cheers
James
2 REPLIES 2

On 4/11/2010 10:25:37 AM, stuartgregory wrote:
>Hi All
>
>I'm trying to write an
>equation where the
>co-efficient of the complex
>number 'i' is a variable.
>Tried
>
>(G2 + C1.i)
>
>
>But no joy - equally as bad
>is:
>
>
>(G2 - (C1 + C2)i)
>
>I don't want to keep changing
>the various coefficients
>manually and can't see any
>reason why it should be
>impossible for Mathcad to
>handle the general
>requirement.
>
>Any suggestions? Can you put
>me right? I have tried reading
>the manual and Googling the
>situation but all examples
>'convieniently' use numbers as
>the coefficient!
>
>Cheers
>James

Simply try
G2 + C1*1i
or
G2 - (C1 + C2)*1i

The "1" in front of the "i" tells Mathcad that its a number, not a variable. Wehn the regeions does not have the focus, the 1 its hidden for better display.

RMIx

Hi rmix22

Thanks for replying - I know it is the right answer for me as I found it myself a few minutes after asking the question but after about 15 hours of puzzling and researching beforehand!

It isn't too obvious from the Help files but is if you read it again knowing what the answer is! This is often a big problem where people writing 'HELP' are experts in the subject.

Forums - love 'em!

James

Top Tags