cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Help opening Mathcad 7 files

rajala
1-Newbie

Help opening Mathcad 7 files

Hello I have been trying to open Mathcad 7 files on the trial version of mathcad 15 and everytime I get the message "Mathcad Application has stopped working". They are crucial files needed for my research so I would appreciate any suggestion on what to do.

I have also tried converting to XMCD to view using Mathcad Prime 3.1 but always gives the message "Unexpected error encountered during conversion"

31 REPLIES 31

Luc!

Try please open in Mathcad 11!

It is imposable in 15 or convert into Prime!

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:rajala)

I can confirm that I get the very same error when i try to open those files in Mathcad 15.

On the other hand - Mathcad 15 is capable to open even older files way back to version 2.0 (or even 1.0 ?). So it sure should be able to read files from version 7.

Normally my best guess would be that the file got somehow corrupted, but this would have happened to your whole archive which is not very likely, I think.

So lets wait if Luc, Richard or somebody else with a working version 11 is able to open your files.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

So lets wait if Luc, Richard or somebody else with a working version 11 is able to open your files.

Unfortunately, I no longer have easy access to MC11. I do have access, but only by firing up an old PC, which I will not be able to do until this evening.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

I can confirm that these are Mathcad 7 files (they start with ".MCAD 306000000").

Mathcad 11 cannot open these files, the error message is: "Failed to open document.", fortunately without crashing the application. They are probably corrupt.

They are binary files, very little is readable. I do not know the file format, so have little hope these can be recovered.

Should I find a way, I'll get back.

Success!
Luc

Can't open in mc11, mathcad 6 plus nor Study Works. I haven't mcad 7. My version of mcad 7 was from Mark's Mechanical handbook, and it is not a complete version. But for some reason I delete it.

Best regards.

Alvaro.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:AlvaroDíaz)

Opening in a version below 7 is not to be expected, since they are version 7 files.

Luc

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

You can get the uncorrupted files here: Index of /~tony/watts/watts/teaching/mathcad

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:RichardJ)

Guess you've found the original file set.

The 2.1.mcd files differ as of byte location 16384. That's a power of 2, interesting.

The full list is:

2.1    16384=4000h

3.1    16384=4000h

4.1    20480=5000h

5.1    16385=4001h

5.2    12288=3000h

5.3    12288=3000h

5.4    28672=7000h

6.1    16384=4000h

6.2    16384=4000h

7.1     99    =0063h

7.2    20480=5000h

7.3    36864=9000h

7.4    16384=4000h

7.5    12288=3000h

Now files 5.1 and 7.1 are even more interesting. File system problem?

Luc

Thank you very much!! That works

If you don't mind me asking, How did you find those files? The link I used was actually from the book I recently bought.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I stripped some plain text out of one of the files and ran it through Google. That turned up a pdf of the Mathcad files, and that led me (indirectly) to the files themselves.

Good catch .

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

What kind of book?

Hey there,

unfortunately I have the same problem opening the Mathcad 7 files within Prime 4/Mathcad 15.0.

The link provided above is out of date, the data files are provided for the book isostasy and flexure of the lithosphere by Watts 2001.

Is there any chance to get the files working or convert them for the newer Mathcad versions ? Find attached one of the files, which states "unexpected error encountered during conversion" within Prime converter. v15 is crashing if opening the file.

....funny but if I want to upload the files, it states: The contents of the attachment doenst match its file type. Therefore I provide the link to the contents: ftp://ftp.earth.ox.ac.uk/pub/tony/isostasy/mathcad/

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:jtomase)

The "content doesn't match...." error message is due to a bug in this forum that we (mere users) are still waiting for to be fixed (by PTC or those hired by them).

If you zip the file  first {in Windows Explorer: Send To => Compressed (zipped) folder } you can attach the .ZIP file to your post.

Success!
Luc

Luc,

You can find this archive in the attachment.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:VladimirN)

Yes, Vladimir, I can find the archive, download it to my computer and inspect it. But all .mcd files in there are corrupt, and the only one that will open (with error messages) is contents.mcd.

The original poster (OP) of this thread got the files from the link found by Richard, and they are OK. I had them too, but deleted them from my PC. Smiley Sad

Luc

Ok. You only use Mathcad 11?

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal

I'd suggest contacting the author.

http://www.wattsgeophysics.co.uk/

jtomase
3-Visitor
(To:MJG)

Yes, I contacted the author two months ago, but no replies at all. Even the Publisher does not provide downloadable content anymore, links are outdated. Therefore I am trying to get some infos here in the forum, on how to get this data files running. Mathcad 7 or 8 is not downloadable anywhere. 😕

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Sorry, but the files are not fixable.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

1. Among all the files I can open in Mathcad 15 M045 (and convert it to Mathcad Prime 3.1 version) only the "Contents.mcd" file that was create in Mathcad 2000 version.

2. You can try to open these documents by using "Mathcad Explorer 8" (but I do not think that this will change the situation): https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad-Questions/Mathcad-marathon-calculator/td-p/291121/page/2

3. Another variant is to send these files to PTC's technical support through the "Mathcad Support Center" option: http://support.ptc.com/support/mathcad_supportCenterOpt.htm

Thanks VladimirN for the reply.

I checked the content file already, its the only one working, you are right.

I give it a try and will contact the mathcad support. I will let you know, if they are successful.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

I'll try to open these files a later on some my old PC.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

The files are corrupted. You cannot open them on any PC, with any version of Mathcad.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:RichardJ)

You're right.

I PM'd the OP and asked him to attach the files from the (now broken) link to this thread.

Hope that'll help.

Luc

Broken link (this archive with files is normally downloaded ftp://ftp.earth.ox.ac.uk/pub/tony/isostasy/mathcad/isostasy.tar.gz )?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Did you unpack it and open the mathcad files in there?

Luc

You can unpack this archive without any errors.

Top Tags