cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Help opening a Mathcad file from 2005?

Xenopus
1-Newbie

Help opening a Mathcad file from 2005?

I would really appreciate advice on opening the attached MCD file. It
contains vital data for our current research, and the collaborator who
originally created the files is no longer available to help.

I know that the file was created in 2005, but I don't know what version
of Mathcad was used. I tried opening the file in trial version of
Mathcad Prime 1.0, but that didn't work. Then I tried opening it in a
trial version of the older Mathcad 15, but that also didn't work; it
says "Failed to open document." Finally, I tried converting it with the
"XMCD, MCD Converter" but this does not work; I get "Unexpected error
encountered during conversion."

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Xenopus)

I looked inside the file. This is not a Mathcad file, and does not even remotely resemble a Mathcad file. Sorry, but there is nothing in there to try and recover.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
FDS
12-Amethyst
12-Amethyst

Ursula, I believe the file is corrupt as I cannot open it with MC15 nor MC11. Sorry.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Hello!

This file I could not open in Mathcad 15. And I, too, an error occurred while converting the file to version Mathcad Prime 1.0.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Sorry no, I have tried using Stuart's recovery worksheet without success.

Mike

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I looked inside the file. This is not a Mathcad file, and does not even remotely resemble a Mathcad file. Sorry, but there is nothing in there to try and recover.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

How did you manage to look inside the file?

Mike

How did you manage to look inside the file?

Just open it in notepad

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Just open it in notepad

Of course. When a Mathcad file is opened in Notepad a whole list of data is provide. Date, worksheet version, units etc etc...

Mike

'Not if it's a .mcd file. That's a binary format, and most of the file looks likes random characters. It always starts with .MCAD and some numbers though (which give te version of Mathcad that created the file). The file posted above is binary, but it does not start with the correct sequence, and the rest of the file does not look like a bunch of random characters. So it's not a Mathcad file.

Thanks for your help! I'm glad the file has a problem and it's not just me...

Hello, I have a *.mcd file , created in 2012 and I would like to open! There are some formula and I need them.

Thank you for the help

I forgot to tell you I've installed the last version PTC Mathcad 6.0.0.0 and it is not able to open my file...only *.mcdx

Thank you all for helping me,

Carmen

Based on what RichardJ posted, this is not a Mathcad file.  It is a binary file, which means it might be a Mathcad binary data file.  Mathcad 15 (and previous versions of "old" Mathcad) could write and read binary data files.  Prime 6.0 seems to have the same capability; might try that.

Here it is.

Hello,

Thank you for the help...Unfortunately, I thought there were some formula...but nothing I can't do with excel...

Thank you.

Best regards

The contents of the entire source worksheet.

Top Tags