cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Help to solve an integral to find the unknown limit

Pyros1111
5-Regular Member

Help to solve an integral to find the unknown limit

Hi all,

looking for some help to solve the following equation (circled in red) to find one of the limits of integration (b).

R.d is the other limit of integration which is fixed and known.

The angles 'alpha' and 'beta' are known and fixed.

w is known and fixed, q is known and fixed. 

Angle 'theta' varies with r and b.

Any help would be appreciatred - currently trying to do it in mathcad 15 but i also have access to prime 

Capture 1.PNG

9 REPLIES 9
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Pyros1111)

Please post your worksheet. Not just a picture!
If possible save it as Mathcad 11 .mcd file. Don't mind the warnings, if any.

Success!
Luc
Pyros1111
5-Regular Member
(To:LucMeekes)

Hi Luc,

i have attached the calc I have so far. I have also included the paper it comes from, i'm essentially trying to use the derived equation that is the crux of the paper (equation 3.40 on page 77) but struggling to do this in Mathcad. Also included a diagram from the paper to help illustrate where some of the variables come from.

Capture 3.PNG

Pyros1111
5-Regular Member

sorry 'q' is also a known and variable - missing from the Mathcad i posted originally but included in this one.

Find.png

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

I noticed that.

Luc

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

LucMeekes_0-1577968186414.pngLucMeekes_1-1577968213702.pngLucMeekes_2-1577968250454.pngLucMeekes_3-1577968275326.png

I think you should check the equations and the known values.

Success!
Luc

Pyros1111
5-Regular Member
(To:LucMeekes)

Hi Luc,

thanks for this - q will actually be a much smaller value than 300 (error on my part) something more like 1*10^-5 is appropriate in fact. 

Only thing is when i open Mathcad file you attached it doesn't seem to work properly - no plot etc... is this because i am running Mathcad 15?

Only thing is when i open Mathcad file you attached it doesn't seem to work properly - no plot etc... is this because i am running Mathcad 15?

NO, its because Luc usually turns off autocalculation in his sheets. So you may turn it on or manually recalculate the sheet.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

That makes it simple to solve numerically. Note that you probably will not find a symbolic solution.

LucMeekes_0-1577974589734.png

Success!
Luc

Top Tags