Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with ODE's and Units

Highlighted

Hi, I am having trouble solving for this ODE or at least graphing a ODE. I am looking for voltage as a function of time v(t) or v(x) (i've tried both here) I keep getting unit errors, even when I solve this using unitless parameters. Also, is there any way to display the equation or does Odesolve only give graphical solutions. I uploaded in Mathcad 13 & 14.
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

For whatever reason, MCad wants the prime notation used for the definition of y'(0). Go figure. I wasn't clear about your units and didn't do anything on the second half of the sheet. It seems to be the same problem.
As far as I know, ODESOLVE is not supposed to work with units. When the units you used are converted to SI, the equation goes to negative infinity in a hurry, tend has to be < 0.6. However, as shown in the attached sheet it is OK forever.

narlin
Highlighted

Thank you for your help. I am still having problems however. The unit for C was in micro Farads, which means to be converted to base units, it should be 0.167*10^-6 (F) When i make that change into the vector you created however, it no longer works. Also, what is the "tend" for?
Highlighted

Using C = .167 microF, which is what i was alluding to previously, causes the equation to be stiff. It is still numerically solvable, although I don't have much faith in these solutions. They may be OK.

The tend is just so I can remember what that number is in the ODEsolve. tend stands for time-end.

You have to right click on the word Odesolve (and not on the parenthesis following it) and then change the method to "stiff".

I have attached another that is stiffed.
Highlighted

Show the DE in a *.gif,
some collab may have patience to construct, maybe interest in it too.

jmG
Highlighted

Please do not post the same question in more than one place. It only serves to sow confusion as answers get split between the threads. I have answered your question in a response to your other post.