cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Help with solve blocks

ptc-4747199
1-Newbie

Help with solve blocks

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the calculus or algebra section as it pertains to both... I have a solve block set up that set's the function, the derivative wrt a variable, and then two other combinations equal to 0. I have 4 variables I am solving for. However, my solve block doesn't seem to work. Oddly enough, if I simplify the functions with my boundary conditions, and then just copy and paste into a new solve block, setting them equal to zero, it works. I don't understand what it is I'm doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a copy of the sheet I'm working on.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

See attached for how to make it work. It still takes some time to solve; mainly, I guess, because the derivatives are reevaluated every step of the way!

Alan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

D.png

Valery,

Thanks for the quick response. There is, however, a solution to this system of equations (as can be seen by scrolling down in the sheet). I tried replacing the guess values with numbers close to the actual answer to no avail. Any suggestions?

See attached for how to make it work. It still takes some time to solve; mainly, I guess, because the derivatives are reevaluated every step of the way!

Alan

Alan,

You are awesome. Thanks for your help.

It still takes some time to solve; mainly, I guess, because the derivatives are reevaluated every step of the way!

By evaluating the derivative functions symbolically first, the solve block works instantly!! See attached.

Alan

Top Tags