cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Hiding parts of my calculations

ksmedsg�rd
1-Newbie

Hiding parts of my calculations

Hi!

Do anyone know if its possible to hide parts of my calculations? I solved an equation and got some ugly looking, precise answers. I only want to show the approximate decimal answers. 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Add a numeric assignment at the start of the expression, and then use the max function:

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

More information would be useful. Which version of Mathcad are you using? Are these the results of a symbolic evaluation?

I'm using mathcad prime 3.1.

I'm quite new at Mathcad, so it's probably a stupid question.

If it's possible i want to hide the answer part with the sqrt.

It is possible in Mathcad 15

Don't think that is useful in my case. Is it?
I want to hide the answer (or get it directly in decimals), not the command.
I only want the last part (decimals) to show, after the solve command. 

You could use a numeric solve block rather than a symbolic solve.

Also, note that the MPa under the square root appears in two different colors. That means that somewhere above the evaluation a label is set incorrectly. Blue indicates that it's a unit. Find any occurrences of MPa in definitions that are not blue, and set their label to units. The symbolic expression should then simplify.

Hi,

maybe expandable area will help you.

hide.png

MH

Martin Hanák

Great!
Thank you!

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:RichardJ)

Ryan Kelley

Move to Mathcad(?)

I've moved this discussion into our PTC Mathcad‌ product community.

Also got another question for you.

Does 1.797 got a name now? Like h2 or something? Or is it possible for me to name the biggest value h2 automatically?

Trying to make some pages of calculations where i don't have to type in the values manually.

Sorry if it's hard for you to understand my English.

Add a numeric assignment at the start of the expression, and then use the max function:

Thank you!
Quite helpful!

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ksmedsg�rd)

See Richards response.

With the result of the solve command assigned to X, it is possible to individually address all elements of the result.

Note that X is an array, Normally the index for arrays in Mathcad starts at 0 (as determined by the value of ORIGIN).

So X[0 (X index 0, you get that by typing    X[0   ) is 2, and X[1 is -2 in Richard's example.

In your case, if you assign your expression to h (by prepending it with h:  then shows as h:=  ), the h[0= would give -41.023 m and h[1= would give 1.797 m.

Success!
Luc

According the need to hide that big and ugly expression you got using the symbolics: Is it necessary for your audience to to see the first part, that is the equations and the "solve h" ?

If not, you could assign the calculation to a variable h, similar to what Richard had done with X, and put the whole calculation line in a so called "area" (Menu: Document - Regions:Area). You then can collapse that area and all you see is a plus-symbol at the left side and a horizontal line. After that area type "h=" and all you see is the calculation result.

And if you just want to exclude the calculation when you print the worksheet, you can put the calculation to the right hand page - what you place there is not printed.

WE

Top Tags