cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

How do I change the font size and type for the axis

ptc-1389851
1-Newbie

How do I change the font size and type for the axis

I cannot figure out how to change the font type and size on an axis in any plot. I cannot see the values on an axis without zooming in. Copying a plot to paste into another document leaves me with a graph that is nearly unuseable. U can change the axis label fonts easily enough but the actual values on the axis is impossible. I certainly must be overlooking where the command(s) are to do this.

21 REPLIES 21

Frank Damico wrote:

I cannot figure out how to change the font type and size on an axis in any plot. I cannot see the values on an axis without zooming in. Copying a plot to paste into another document leaves me with a graph that is nearly unuseable. U can change the axis label fonts easily enough but the actual values on the axis is impossible. I certainly must be overlooking where the command(s) are to do this.

No, you aren't overlooking anything. I guess you are struggling with Prime, not Mathcad, right?

Thats the way its implemented there. Plots are implemented in Prime in an unbelievable amateurish and dilettantish way and 3D plots are even worse, up to unuseable. The same is true for plot exports. Copy and paste in Prime only works with pixel graphics and not vector metafiles as you would expect (especially from a company whose main product is a high end CAD software).

And as far as I had read here, the next release (Prime 3.1 scheduled for Q1 2015) seems to be not meant to address that debacle.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:Werner_E)

Werner Exinger wrote:

No, you aren't overlooking anything. I guess you are struggling with Prime, not Mathcad, right?

Thats the way its implemented there. Plots are implemented in Prime in an unbelievable amateurish and dilettantish way and 3D plots are even worse, up to unuseable. The same is true for plot exports. Copy and paste in Prime only works with pixel graphics and not vector metafiles as you would expect (especially from a company whose main product is a high end CAD software).

And as far as I had read here, the next release (Prime 3.1 scheduled for Q1 2015) seems to be not meant to address that debacle.

It's the lack of a matrix image component that I found most annoying. I frequently use the component as a function to allow a form of animation. Expecting the user to export an image and then re-import it? ... That's as clunky as anything Mathsoft implemented.

...I certainly must be overlooking where the command(s) are to do this...

No you didn't. It's PTC overlooking a thing or two.

Raiko

Thanks, both of you, I thought I was going crazy! This HAS to be fixed, else MathCad Prime will cease to exist since o one will buy it. I ALMOST had two others sold on this package. If you can't make useable plots, the program nearly becomes useless! It's a shame, that they are up to version 3 (as Prime) and it hasn't been fixed. One of the beauties of mathcad was that it could do nearly everything, albeit not necessarily always well but you had at your fingertips a a great general purpose tool and it's why I decided to give it another try after not upgrading after version 14 of the old mathcad that we knew. I like alot of what I've seen so far, but this simple graphic must be fixed.

I hope I'm not the only one who will be putting a suggestion for improvement!

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-1389851)

There are many, very long, threads screaming for improvements in Prime. The problem is not a lack of requests or suggestions, but the lack of anything being implemented to address most of them.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-1389851)

Frank Damico wrote:

As Richard pointed out you are not the first person to mention this out and certainly will not be the last. You could create an idea here http://communities.ptc.com/community/mathcad?view=idea - what good it will do is anyone's guess, but it may make you feel better.

IMHO opinion change an element formatted using Math Text Font and you will see changes- however- the presentation is that buggy that only ugly types are shown- not usable for presentation some text is flipped over some missing completely, Mathcad 15 3D graphic engine is lemon.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:efried-2)

E Fried wrote:

IMHO opinion change an element formatted using Math Text Font and you will see changes- however- the presentation is that buggy that only ugly types are shown- not usable for presentation some text is flipped over some missing completely, Mathcad 15 3D graphic engine is lemon.

I do not see any reference to 3D plots here?

Mike Armstrong wrote:

E Fried wrote:

Nor for Mathcad 15. The bad readability which Frank noticed rather is an indicator that Prime is the version in question.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Werner Exinger wrote:

Mike Armstrong wrote:

E Fried wrote:

Nor for Mathcad 15. The bad readability which Frank noticed rather is an indicator that Prime is the version in question.

Agree.

To be fair to E Fred I have had the same issues with 3D plot axis not looking great.

Mathcad 15 3D graphic engine is lemon.

Agree.

To be fair to E Fred I have had the same issues with 3D plot axis not looking great.

Sure, we know the 3D plot in Mathcad 15 is in no way state of the art (nor is the 2D plot) but the axis values usually are not to small to be able to read them as the OP moaned. The axis label of course is mediocre, to say the least.

Funny ist'n it? It is 3D but in 90° projection.

mathcadfail.PNG

So you haven't seen Prime's 3D plots yet?

No, since my complex programms will certainly not run in Prime I did not invest in this.

I think if modelica develops further we may have alternatives. But for pupils and technicians Mathcad remains a great versatile solution.

E Fried wrote:

No, since my complex programms will certainly not run in Prime I did not invest in this.

Sure a pretty good decision!

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

E Fried wrote:

I think if modelica develops further we may have alternatives. But for pupils and technicians Mathcad remains a great versatile solution.

Remember you do get M15 free with Prime.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Sure, Mathcad 2D and 3D plots have always left a lot to be desired. But 2D plots in Prime are 10x worse, and 3D plots are 100x worse. Hard to believe perhaps, but true.

stop complaining and turn on your ... between your ears. if you set all the mathematical fonts to 8 pt, the page size to DIN A5 and move everything closer together, you have a decent display of the scales in diagrams.

it took me a few moons, but finally ....

You are doing the same when you edit a word document and want a bigger headline?

Leave the headline as it is and scale all the rest, making it smaller. 🙂

It may be a clever crude workaround but sure is not as it should be.

The thing between my ears gave me the advice not to use Prime at all, at least not for anything serious. Not only because of the mediocre plotting abilities in Prime but also for numerous others.

The fonts are set by clicking FORMAT on the top menu, then click on EQUATIONS, then in the STYLE NAME click the down arrow and pick

(1) CONSTANTS -- which is the font for the numbers on the x-axis and y-axis, or

(2) MATH TEXT FONT  -- which is the font for the title and axis labels

Once you have picked one of these style names, click on MODIFY and pick what you want (font, size, color, italics, etc.)

Note that fixed numbers (i.e. CONSTANTS) in your worksheet/program will take on the font you want in your graphs.

For me, that means gigantic numbers in my program code just to have plots that look sharp and readable in power point.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:JM719)

@JM719 wrote:

The fonts are set by clicking FORMAT on the top menu, then click on EQUATIONS, then in the STYLE NAME click the down arrow and pick

The question was about plots in Prime, but your answer applies to real Mathcad (15 and below).

Top Tags