cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

How to Initialize a Variable in MCAD 15?

mfrench
12-Amethyst

How to Initialize a Variable in MCAD 15?

Hi Folks,

Say I am using x as a variable in a sheet and I then, farther down on the sheet, want to plot some function f(x) vs. x. How do I initialize x so I'll actually get a range of x values?

I know the easy way to do it is to just use some other dummy variable and plot, say, f(xx) vs. xx. However, I vaguely remember there being a way to initialize x.

Can anyone remind me how to do this?

Thanks for your help.

2 REPLIES 2

If you simply type " x:= " and your new value, you'll reassign the value of the variable FOR ALL POINTS BELOW THE NEW EXPRESSION. Not above.

This can be dangerous; if you use x in another expression it will evaluate at the new value.

Say I am using x as a variable in a sheet and I then, farther down on the sheet, want to plot some function f(x) vs. x. How do I initialize x so I'll actually get a range of x values?

As I understand your question you want to "undefine" a variable which already was given a value so you are able to use this variable name as independend variable in a quickplot.

The short answer is: You can't!

You have to use a different, so far unused variable name. You may chose "x." (without the quotes) - it looks like a normal x, but is a different variable.

The better option though is to use a range variable for plotting as it provides better control - especially if you use units you should ranges and no quickplot.

Top Tags