cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

How to MATHCAD 15 Install on imac

regcurry
14-Alexandrite

How to MATHCAD 15 Install on imac

My PC is failing.  Can I use the same exe install file for Mathcad 15 to install on an iMac?

Reg
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There is no native Mac version of Mathcad.

If your license allows you to install Mathcad on more than one machine, you may run it on a Mac basically in three different ways (like any Windows software):

1) Dual Boot Configuation: Use Boot Camp to install Windows alongside macOS (you'll need a Windows license to do so)

2) Virtual Machine (Parallels desktop, VMWare, Virtual Box, Citrix,...): Run Windows and Mathcad in a virtual machine (again you'll need a Win license). If your Windows machine still is alive you may even turn it into a VM and run that on the Mac (this will not work with parallels desktop AFAIK).

3) Use a Windows emulator like WINE or CrossOver Mac. You don't need a windows license but the emulators are far away from being perfect. No guarantee that a specific Win software will run flawless in the emulator. Furthermore PTC will not provide any support for running their software in an emulator (but losing PTC's support is not a big loss anyway).

If possible I would go for a virtual machine. IMHO It provides a good balance between reliability and comfort.

Having to reboot just to be able to use a specific software as in a dual boot config can be annoying and using an emulator is not that reliable as I would wish it to be (though I have no personal experience in using Mathcad with a windows emulator).

Maybe we have some Mac users here in the forum who have personal experience and give some further advice.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

There is no native Mac version of Mathcad.

If your license allows you to install Mathcad on more than one machine, you may run it on a Mac basically in three different ways (like any Windows software):

1) Dual Boot Configuation: Use Boot Camp to install Windows alongside macOS (you'll need a Windows license to do so)

2) Virtual Machine (Parallels desktop, VMWare, Virtual Box, Citrix,...): Run Windows and Mathcad in a virtual machine (again you'll need a Win license). If your Windows machine still is alive you may even turn it into a VM and run that on the Mac (this will not work with parallels desktop AFAIK).

3) Use a Windows emulator like WINE or CrossOver Mac. You don't need a windows license but the emulators are far away from being perfect. No guarantee that a specific Win software will run flawless in the emulator. Furthermore PTC will not provide any support for running their software in an emulator (but losing PTC's support is not a big loss anyway).

If possible I would go for a virtual machine. IMHO It provides a good balance between reliability and comfort.

Having to reboot just to be able to use a specific software as in a dual boot config can be annoying and using an emulator is not that reliable as I would wish it to be (though I have no personal experience in using Mathcad with a windows emulator).

Maybe we have some Mac users here in the forum who have personal experience and give some further advice.

regcurry
14-Alexandrite
(To:Werner_E)

Thanks much.

Reg
Top Tags