cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How to Read a Binary COMTRADE Data File

ppal
17-Peridot

How to Read a Binary COMTRADE Data File

Does anyone know how I can read a binary comtrade data file.  In this case "File.dat"

What is comtrade? See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comtrade.

I am interested in displaying the File.dat The others are easy to open in mathcad.

Once I can view it then I can do further processing to it in mathcad

Thanks.

67 REPLIES 67
VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:ppal)

You don't have the worksheet in the archive.

ppal
17-Peridot
(To:VladimirN)

HI

All Files

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ppal)

The Prime sheet you have in the .ZIP file refers to one of the OSC00x file sets, but your Prime sheet is from 2018 (since it's named LM_20181125_Comtrade.mcdx.

The OSC00x files are from Ana. These files use a variable time. I modified the Comtrade sheet to accomodate that. If you grabbed those OSC files, and try to work with them with the old version of the Comtrade sheet, you'll run into the same problem as reported by Ana.

You should get the Comtrade sheet LM_20210218_Comtrade.mcdx from my post on 2021-02-18 (higher up in this trail) to work with them. You can use that same file for working with your own files, since it works with fixed time and with variable time.

Success!

Luc

ppal
17-Peridot
(To:AG_9825980)

Hi

What analysis are you doing with your comtrade files.

I would be interested specially if you are working on fault location.

Hi Muser,

in this case i'm not working on fault location. 

I'm trying to understand the type of fault we had a couple of times already in the transformer at the base of a wind turbine. 

Back in march 2020 we worked on fault location using a reflectometer.

Regards!

Ana

Discovered this thread when attempting to analyze a fairly large COMTRADE file. It seems to work perfectly fine, but when I try to save the new copy of the .mcdx, I get an error message 'The file type is not supported'.  Reviewing the log file shows 'System.ArgumentException: '.', hexadecimal value 0x1A, is an invalid character'.

Any ideas? I don't get the same error message when saving the latest file, LM_20210218.mcdx on it's own without reading a COMTRADE file. So I'm guessing it's related to either the .cfg or .dat file I'm working with.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:BJ_7968049)

Hmm. Weird!

(Saving) the Prime file should be unrelated any of the data files it works with.

What version of Prime are you using, and what language are you using it in?

Can you post your data file?

On further thought: Prime wants to save the results with the worksheet file. Try this experiment:

What if you first process your (large) data file, then process another data file somewhere posted in this thread and then save the Prime file?

(Note that I don't have a license for Prime, I can look at the results, and make edits, but cannot run the results then.)

Luc

ppal
17-Peridot
(To:BJ_7968049)

While this is a Mathcad forum and Luc's sheet works -

Give SEL's synchrowave event a go. 

Top Tags