cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

How to assign units to output of an excel component in MathCAD?

ptc-5820773
1-Newbie

How to assign units to output of an excel component in MathCAD?

Just started MathCAD prime 2.0. Big change from MathCAD 15. Majority is unpleasant change. Anyways my questions below.

I have inserted a excel component in my MathCAD sheet.

1. The input into the excel component has units 'mm'. The value is 45 mm (Bolt dia). In the excel sheet it comes out as 0.045 automatically. Why is that so?

2. In the excel component there is a table and it does a VLOOKUP search in excel for the input given and returns the desired value. This value I have selected as a output of my excel component. The thing is that the output does not have any unit. But I want units of mm^2 (Bolt area) assigned to it. But for the life of me I am not able to do it. Each time I try to insert manually, MathCAD automatically makes it unitless by giving mm^2/m^2 result. Any help regarding this?

Thanking you all in advance.

Regards,

Debayan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I'm running Prime 2 & it seems to half-work...

Capture.PNG

the input strips the mm units out nicely, but although the scaling is working, the units seem to disappear???

Changing the A.si output to mm^2 gives:

Capture.PNG

Note: sometimes it flags the mm as a unit & most times not!

More proof that P2 is(was) a work in progress.

Looks like the output from the XL sheet has to be a number & add the scaling afterwards.

Capture.PNG

Regards

Andy

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-5820773)

Please bear with Prime - it will come good in the end.

1. Mathcad has converted the variable to the base SI unit , metres. You can divide the variable by mm and it will display correctly in the Excel component.
  2. You can muliply the right hand side of the output expression within the Excel component by the desired units.

Clipboard01.jpg

Mike.

Thanks for your reply. But unfortunately your solution doesn't work in my MathCAD sheet (suprisingly!). I am attaching my MathCAD sheet below. Please take a look.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

I have Mathcad Prime 3.0 you see.

Seems to work for me.

Hi,

I'm running Prime 2 & it seems to half-work...

Capture.PNG

the input strips the mm units out nicely, but although the scaling is working, the units seem to disappear???

Changing the A.si output to mm^2 gives:

Capture.PNG

Note: sometimes it flags the mm as a unit & most times not!

More proof that P2 is(was) a work in progress.

Looks like the output from the XL sheet has to be a number & add the scaling afterwards.

Capture.PNG

Regards

Andy

So it looks like they have corrected this in Prime 3.0

Cheers for checking Andy

I think this warrants a free upgrade to Prime 3 to who ever has paid for Prime 2 . Too bad my project sheets have to be in Prime 2 though

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

I doubt you will get that, but worth asking

I would wait for Prime 4.0 if you are looking at upgrading.

Top Tags