cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

How to convert XMCD file into MCDX format?

dkothia
1-Newbie

How to convert XMCD file into MCDX format?

The file is from Mathsoft MathCad, but I want to run it in the new PTC MathCad what is the solution please answer ASAP. And are the two software same?

193 REPLIES 193

Can you please convert this file for me? 

Here it is.

Thank you very much!

With regards,

Sebastian

You're welcome.

Hi, can anyone help me with converting this file to mcdx format? Thanks 🙂

Please find it in attachment.

Thanks mate 😉 

Can someone help me convert these files from xmcd to mcdx please and thank you.

Please find it in attachment.

GT_10317774
4-Participant
(To:dkothia)

Hi, can you please help me with these files? Thank you !!! ❤️

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:GT_10317774)

Here you go.

Success!

Luc

GT_10317774
4-Participant
(To:LucMeekes)

Hi, 

Is it not compatible with Mathcad Prime 7 ? I only have this in my pc and also Mathcad 14. I can't convert them from Mathcad 14 into Mathcad Prime 7, because I only receive the error with the NET Framework 3.5(it is not enabled) but it is enabled in my pc, and still having this issue.

Thanks. ❤️

Good morning,

I am in need of heritage .MCD file conversion.  I’ve read much on the move to prime 8 and I understand the situation.  I do not have a version 15 license to make the conversion. 

If I posted a zip file with the early version .mcd files, would someone be able to make the conversions?

thank you for your assistance 

Hi,

@Continuum wrote:

...If I posted a zip file with the early version .mcd files, would someone be able to make the conversions?...

For sure.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Continuum)

If you have Prime 8 (or 7) installed, you can do the conversion yourself, you do not need Mathcad 15 installed (as was necessary with Prime 6 and below). Just make sure that the conversion utility is installed along with Prime. If necessary, restart the Prime installation and additionally install that conversion utility.

Success!
Luc

Hi Luc,

I did a standard install and can access the conversion dialog. I assume that indicates it is installed and ready for conversion. I will test on Monday and respond.

Regards, 

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:GT_10317774)

You should have mentioned which version of Prime you want to use with the converted files...

Prime 7 comes with a conversion utility that does not require Mathcad (15)  to be installed.

You just have to make sure that you install that utility along with Prime. If you forgot to do that, start the installation app again and additionally install that utility.

Please see attachments for .mcdx files that should open in Prime 7.

Success!
Luc

Good morning,

thank you all for assisting. 

I currently have P8 installed under a 30 day evaluation license currently. My company will make a purchase shortly.  It is not desirable since I am a near 30 year MCAD user and do not like any of the prime lineage.  However, I have no choice in the matter.

Now, I was under the impression that this would require a license to make MC15 for conversions but as I am reading above, it appears not the be the case.

I will test a file conversion at work on Monday and see if that actually works.  

So this thread if for people converting MC15 to P6 then?

Regards

@Continuum wrote:

Good morning,

thank you all for assisting. 

I currently have P8 installed under a 30 day evaluation license currently. My company will make a purchase shortly.  It is not desirable since I am a near 30 year MCAD user and do not like any of the prime lineage.  However, I have no choice in the matter.

Now, I was under the impression that this would require a license to make MC15 for conversions but as I am reading above, it appears not the be the case.

I will test a file conversion at work on Monday and see if that actually works.  

So this thread if for people converting MC15 to P6 then?

Regards

You are not alone with your feelings about Prime.

And you are right - up to Prime 6 a full MC15 installation was necessary to be able to use the converter. But no additional license was necessary as the license file of Prime 6 also was valid for Mathcad 15 and you could download MC15 for free from PTC's website.

Starting with Prime 7 the converter is self-contained and no extra MC15 is necessary. Starting with Jan. 2022 you also cannot download MC15 from PTC's website any more.

Werner,

Copy.  I will test and report back on Monday.  Some of my heritage sheets are massive with maybe 50 areas and 100's of functions in each.  I wonder how that's going to go. The area aspect is very different, hard to move, difficult to see, difficult to identify.  Sadly, nothing much I can do.  Prime 8 is the only path forward because of licensing.  

I will note that I even have MC2001 MCD files. I know these were forward compatible to M15.  Can I assume these will run through the converter to P8 OK?

thank you.

Regards

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Continuum)

They should.

So far I haven't seen a Mathcad (.mcd or .xmcd) file that would not be converted because of its Mathcad version.

Of course some more advanced constructs supported in Mathcad will not be translated to Prime, but that's due to shortcomings of Prime....

Success!
Luc

Good morning,

As an updated, I will note I was able to make the conversions.  I did have a few issues.  One is the use of heritage variable types.  I do a lot of work with vectors.  My approach was to create a User1 variable, and make this bold.  The bold is a standard method to delineate vectors from scalars.  I assume User1, User2 ... variable types are gone now in P8.  This caused some collisions.

This is a big issue and hampers usability.  

In my initial usage, I have maybe a few good things to say about Prime.  Most are bad and repeats of the common themes in the forum.  I seriously doubt if they will be fixed as I wonder if the current development path will allow that.  

As for the good, it is nice to be able to put a READPRN in a solve block.  Nice fix.  Also, I liked the ability to build a function on the fly inside programming blocks.  Nice fix. The programming if/elseif/else structure is a nice fix,  Can't imagine why programming comments were never added.  I used "strings like this" which works but must take memory and time to step over the evaluation.  At least these were converted.  the conversion did a nice job of flagging errors so I could trace through the sheet.  This was well done.

Hmmm, what else?  I guess that is it.  I cannot think of any real improvements.  

here is my critical review:

• Sheet navigation is a dog
  • Find and replace is very jumpy.  The inability to find subscripted variables is a fail.
  • Areas are totally ruined.  I cannot delete the area bars and am forced to remove the bars before conversion to avoid copy and paste outside the area.  This is a big problem since I used areas for tidying up the work.
  • Area text is too small to read.
  • Plotting is just there and exists.  This is pretty much unusable for report results.  I only see it useful for assessing current solution.
  • Plot numbers are too small to read.  I cannot seem to find how to fix this.
  • Animation feature is gone.  This is a terrible loss.  As an example, I have spooled deep Monte Carlo simulations using the FRAME keyword.  Guess that's the end of that.

The plotting is one of the biggest issues my estimation.  I had an idea.  I have developed a plotting routine in Windows. It is pretty extensive.  I was thinking about linking to a DLL version inside the MathCAD sheet.  I can send data pointers or a text file name with data that could be written.   I need to explore linking to user created DLLs.  This would be a nice way to send plot data to an outside plotting tool.  I don't have a lot of time now on this.  Interested to hear some other feedback on this idea.  As indicated, P8 plots are pretty much worthless and take enormous time to create and modify.  If you think it worthy, I will start another thread and post the DLL for some testing.  

Regards

MLabib
4-Participant

Hi, may you please help me convert this to a .mcdx file? Thanks!

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:MLabib)

You should state which version of Prime you are using with the converted file.

Here it is saved as a Prime 8 file. Note that the file references another, named: 97stm.mcdx

You may need to provide that file as well for conversion...

Success!
Luc

MLabib
4-Participant
(To:LucMeekes)

Hi Luc,

Sorry, I didn't notice that the version of Prime makes a difference. I use Prime 7. I've also attached the file that is referenced in the worksheet.

Thanks!

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

The file you attached, 97stm_v15.xmcd contains at least one password protected area. It will not convert to Prime with that. You will have to open the locked area(s)..

Success!
Luc.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

You can find it in atachment.

I just started to do my old school job and I have old file of xmcd. Can anyone convert this file to mcdx? Thank you! 🙂

MJ_10392094_0-1661086261602.png

Here it is.

MLabib
4-Participant

Hi,
May you please help me convert these files.  I use Prime 7.
Thanks!

Top Tags