cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

How to do symbolics like 2.5*in+9*ft--->XX*mm+YY*mm

WindWang
1-Newbie

How to do symbolics like 2.5*in+9*ft--->XX*mm+YY*mm

Hi,

This is a question from customer, asking about how to do symbolics like 2.5*in+9*ft--->XX*mm+YY*mm?

That means customer wants to show the unit changed in the progress, not only getting the final results such as 2.5*in+9*ft=2806.7mm

I have tried using substitue, but can't get the expected units in the progress as followings:

So can you help doing the expected behaivor?

Best Regards

Wind

9 REPLIES 9
wayne
3-Visitor
(To:WindWang)

Can redefine units as a variable, suggest changing name though:

tmp11.gif

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

The symbolic processor knows nothing about Mathcad's built-in units. The symbolic processor treats them as undefined variables, just like any other undefined variable. You can play around with defining the units yourself, as Wayne suggests, or you can play around with substitute, but that's all. I can't comment on why substitute didn't do what you want because you didn't post a worksheet. You also created this as a document rather than a discussion thread, so nobody else can post worksheets either.

xx.png

Hi Richard,

As you can see from the above picture, I can only get the final result 2806.7mm, but can't get what I wanted XX*mm+YY*mm=2806.7mm

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for you idea, I have another question below.

y.png

wayne
3-Visitor

Don't think you have any control, Mathcad is going to use the base unit m.  The had to choose, and that's what they choose.

It seems the reason is not about the base unit m. See below.

t.png

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

The symbolic processor does not understand units. It just sees mm as an undefined variable, like any other undefined variable.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Thanks for you idea, I have another question below.

y.png

Because of the inline evaluaton it sees "m" attached to the IN and FT values. It sees "m", which is what is stored internally, regardless of what you type in the unit placeholders in the inline evaluations. And to the symbolic processor, "m" is just another undefined variable.

Thanks

Top Tags