cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

How to get matched to solve symbolically for only a real part of a complex equation

rscott
6-Contributor

How to get matched to solve symbolically for only a real part of a complex equation

Hello

I have the following information and I'm trying to get matched to solve it for me symbolically so i don't need to do it by hand

Can anyone help with this error I'm getting?

I basically want it to give me the real and imaginary parts and assign the symbolic representation to variable P and Q

How do i do this?

Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 12.19.31 PM.png

6 REPLIES 6

Send pleas the sheet!

rscott
6-Contributor
(To:ValeryOchkov)

How do i do this?

Im new to this forum

VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:rscott)

When you reply you need to click on "Use advanced editor" in the right upper corner and then "Attach" in the bottom corner:

Pic_1.png

Pic_2.png

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

Don't need a symbolic solve

rscott
6-Contributor
(To:Fred_Kohlhepp)

No i want it symbolically because i don't know what those values VR theta etc are

So i need an analytical equation for the real and imaginary parts.

Of course i can do it by hand but then whats the point of mathcad

I would like math cad to give me an expression for the real and imaginary parts as a function of those terms

VR, VS, Theta , x

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

By default Mathcad's symbolic assumes that all variables could be complex numbers, so the result is not really helpful

You have to tell Mathcad, that theta, VR, etc. are real values, maybe even that VR and VS are positive (or zero). If we assume that x is a real value, too, we can do it in a very simple way:

If x could be non-real, too, things get a bit more clumsy

Hope this helps

Werner

Top Tags