cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

How to import a name to declare a variable ?

cairo-2
1-Newbie

How to import a name to declare a variable ?

Hi everyone

I've got an excel file : the first column is the names of the variables, the seconde is the values of these variables.

Example :

Parameter1 3

Parameter2 7

Parameter3 11

Parameter4 13

I need to import these datas in the following way :

1)- import the names, and declare them as variables (example : thanks to the program, the name of the first variable declared in MathCad has to be Parameter1) ; (this step gives me some problems)

2)- import the value of the variable in the variable declared (this step is done)

I mean, how to automatically declare a variable, with a name importated ?

Sorry for my english and many thanks to anyone could help me !

CCilairo

10 REPLIES 10
wayne
3-Visitor
(To:cairo-2)

There may be an easier way to do what you want, but if you really need to do this you might look at this thread

http://communities.ptc.com/message/160286#160286

But after you look at that, and you still want to do, there is actually a way. Richard had it all along, just forgot. The attached is a scrip written by Tom Gutman, modifed by Stuart Bruff (looks like he forgot too) and sent to me vie Richard (Thanks by the way).

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:wayne)

Well remembered Wayne. I cannot see another way of achieving this.

Mike

cairo-2
1-Newbie

Hi and many thanks for your help.

I read the thread, really helpful for the rigth use of variables ;

I also got a look at your script but I'm not sure I really understand the way I can use it : I'm not sure I can declare a variable with the function str2val ? I mean, with your .zip, if I call the variable "C=" (cf. funtag2), it can't say "C=23000".

In my case, I need to call the variable by its name.

I'm not sure that I'm clear, I try again ^^ :

with the exemple from my first post, the str2val will return the matrix below :

(Parameter1 = 3

Parameter2 = 7

Parameter3 = 11

Parameter4 = 13)

but "Parameter1" is not a variable : I couldn't call it in the rest of the worksheet, to do something like :

Parameter1 + Parameter2 =

To be clear, I have almost one hundred of variables, in an Excel file ; the first column are the names of the variables and the second are their values ; I have to import the names and the values in MathCAD, and then to do some calculations with them (integrals, etc). So, I can't declare "manually" all the variables, you see?

Unless I misunderstood the use of your str2val function ? ...

CCilairo

To be clear, I have almost one hundred of variables, in an Excel file [...] I have to import the names and the values in MathCAD, and then to do some calculations with them (integrals, etc).

Another way to do that is :

in my MathCAD file, I need to use the value of "Parameter1" ; Parameter1 isn't declared in this MathCAD worksheet, but a tiny routine could read the excel file and search for the "Parameter1" string in the ActiveSheet, and then return the value of it in MathCAD.

1) To do this, I create a Sheet in Excel, including :

Column A : values of variables ;

For each cell of Column A, I define a cell name corresponding to the name of the variable (So, here, the name of the cell A1 is Parameter1 and the value of the cell A1 is 3)

2) Then I try to call it in the MathCAD sheet :

TEST := READEXCEL(".\test_name.xls","Feuil1!Parameter1")

But two problems :

1) : MathCAD can't import an excel data with the cell name, only with its location :

READEXCEL(".\test_name.xls","Feuil1!A1") in this exemple

2) it would be really heavy, but I don't mind ^^

What do you think about this 'not a solution' ?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Can you upload an Excel sheet with the data and I'll see if I can use the worksheet posted by Wayne to get to to work for you.

Mike

I finally did it, in a rougher way...

Many thanks for your concern and the threads and examples, which brought a lot to me !

CCilairo

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Any chance of the solution?

Mike

+1.

wayne
3-Visitor

The str2var will work.

But it is only necessary when the variable name is not preset. For example, in my case, the user may want to make a new load combination and give it a unique name. This is done in a matrix of load combinations that is referenced into a worksheet that is based on that matrix, and for which the unique variable name must be used as a variable

If you know the names, or can assign the names, like Parameter1 thru 100, this is a much easier problem. I suspect that is more less what you did?

(Vladimir, could you be a little more concise, by the time I got to the period I forgot what you were talking about.?)

cairo-2
1-Newbie

Yes, sorry I said that the str2var won't work, but finally it did :-s

In fact, the list of parameters is not as simple as I said, so I tried to use str2var for some of them, and for the others a simple function which I predefined with a "recherchev" (well I don't now the correspondance in english, maybe "researchv" ??) in a matrix which I use like a listing.

In this way, the user will have to specify the caracteristics of the parameters at the first beginning of the worksheet ; I thought it will be a constraint but looking back, it's just as well.

Thank you very much to all of you!

Top Tags