cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

How to manage large worksheets?

MySchizoBuddy
1-Newbie

How to manage large worksheets?

I have 3 sun position calculator and 5 solar radiation model all of them in one worksheet. More radiation model will be added later. It is already over 100 pages.

At one time I only use 1 position calculator with 1-2 radiation models. Right now I have them under collapsed regions so I hide the ones I'm not using. But because they are still in the worksheet they still get re-calculated. making it unnecessarily slow. not to mention variable name hell

Is there a better way to manage large worksheets. Like a workbook with multiple worksheets and then I can reference the worksheets I want to use. Similar to how programmers do it. They split their code in multiple files and then include them when and where they want them.

7 REPLIES 7

Ziyad, Welcome to PlanetPTC.

1. Can you send us the sheet?

2. Did you use references for the solving this problem?

cannot share the worksheet.

But what are references?

Ziyad Saeed wrote:

But what are references?

You can insert in your sheet a reference on other Mathcad-sheet in your computer, a local net or Internet.

Ok This doesn't work as it sounds.

I created File1 with a variable x1=1

Then I referenced this File1 in File2 and asked it to display the result of x1 and it shows 1. Correct so far.

Now when I go back to File1 and change the value of x1 or add new variables to it. All new changes isn't reflected in File2. You have to remove the reference and re add them for File2 to be aware of changes in File1.

yes I have disabled "cache worksheet"

Hello Ziyad,

I've got a similar problem. I do pressure vessel design on a regular basis (MC 15 on a WIN 7 machine). Apart from being quite confusing it sometimes appears to be too much of a burden for a single woprksheet. Hence I adopted two approaches:

1. One chapter per worksheet. Export only the main results to an Excel file for reporting.
  2. One chapter per worksheet. In this all is packed into one function. I have a master sheet from which I call these functions (Reference) to collect them in the master sheet

Works fine for me

Raiko

ELSID
4-Participant
(To:MySchizoBuddy)

As Raiko mentioned, use the reference feature and break out your calculation into smaller tasks. I'm in the process of doing this to better "convert" to Prime when it becomes more usable for my needs. I figure it would be faster (calculation wise), easier to trace, and make finding conversions easier (to find where it breaks).

See my responce above

Top Tags