cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

How to multiple across vectors?

dsochor
5-Regular Member

How to multiple across vectors?

In the attached MathCAD 14 worksheet I have defined two vectors and a number. Is it possible to write an equation that would provide a resultant vector in which each first position is the result of the multiplication of a number by the first position in one vector by the first postion in another vector. The second position of the resultant vector is a number multiplied by the second postion in one vector by the second position in another and so. Basically I am attempting to do this:

4 * [A] * [E] = [4*A*E]

[B] * [F] = [4*B*F]

[C] * [G] = [4*C*G]

[D] * [H] = [4*D*H]

MathCAD is performing this operation as a matrix operation which is what I'm trying not to do. I'm asking because I will eventually be using much larger vectors where I can save time and potential errors by performing it in one step and relying on MathCAD instead of writing out individual equations.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Just see that Valery has beaten me for 2 minutes

So find attached two methods to show, that even without vectorization (which is the preferred method of doing what you want, of course) you would not have to resort to writing individual equations. Maybe helpful if calculations get more complicated.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

May be so:

Vect.png

This is what vectorization is for.

You find it either in the matrix palette or using the keyboard shortcut strg & -

vecorize1.png

Just see that Valery has beaten me for 2 minutes

So find attached two methods to show, that even without vectorization (which is the preferred method of doing what you want, of course) you would not have to resort to writing individual equations. Maybe helpful if calculations get more complicated.

dsochor
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

You are both very helpful, thank you!

Does the Given command work with vectors as the variable(s) to solve for?

Yes, you can work with vectors in solve blocks, but it depends on how you are using them. Generally speaking, chances that you are getting troubles are increased when using vectors and/or units.

Just give it a try and if you are getting troubles come back here and ask.

VecSolve.png

Werner Exinger wrote:

Yes, you can work with vectors in solve blocks...

as a vector of guess values:

roots.png

Top Tags