cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

How to open an 'old' mcd file with MathCad Prime 3 ?

ptc-5326776
1-Newbie

How to open an 'old' mcd file with MathCad Prime 3 ?

Hello, from an appendix of a book publication I got some mcd files (year: 2004). Unfortunately, MathCad Prime 3.0 cannot open the files ("unknown format").

How can I open those mcd files with MathCad prime 3? Is there a converter available ?

Thanks

Klaus

6 REPLIES 6

Yes, there is a possibility to convert files from Mathcad format to Prime. PTC forces you to have a full fledged installation of the latest Mathcad 15 on your machine to be able to do so. Then you can either use the converter as a stand alone prog or access it from within Prime (Input/Output ribbon). Don't expect to much - because Prime still lacks a lot of features Mathcad has, only rather basic sheets will convert painlessly.

If you bought Prime you are entitled to download and use Mathcad 15 - Mathcad 15 will use the same license file.

If you are just using the free Prime Express, you may download MC15, too and use it the first 30 day for evaluation. Unlike Prime, which turns into a crippled Express version after the trial period, MC15 will refuse to work completely after that period.

If you are allowed to post the files to convert here, an alternative is that you ask the community members to do the conversion for you. If there aren't too much I am sure someone will be willing to do the job.

Hi, thanks for the very helpful response. I will try it with MC 15 (I have an academic version of MC Prime 3).

The mcd files in question are available on:

http://www-in.fh-swf.de/fbin/neumann_b/publikationen_isbn-3540218882_extras.htm

Thanks again,

Klaus

A valid academic license should entitle you to use MC15 as well. The product key you have may be only valid for the installation of Prime3, but the license file you get during installation is valid for MC15 as well.

Mathcad and Prime can both be used for image processing. Apart from the standard functions there was an add-on pack "Image Processing" in Mathcad 15 which is integrated in Prime. I am not sure if the routines of this pack are activated in the academic version. The main drawback with Prime is, that it does not allow for pictured to be inserted. So you may read in a pic in a matrix and prcess it, but you won't see the effect of your manipulations inside Prime. The files of the book in question make of course use of Mathcad 15(and below) ability to show those matrices as pictures and the conversion to Prime will fail for that regions.

So it may be a good idea to stay with Mathcad 15 (which in my opinion is the best choice anyway, pictures or not).

EDIT: I attach the MC15 version and the P3 conversion of one of the files along with the appropriate pdf's of the two so you can see what I am talking about.

I realize that this is an old thread but I have the same problem. I own a valid, licensed copy of MathCad Prime 3 and I need to convert old MathCad files. Assuming that my license will enable it, where would I find MathCad 15 application?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:pleopard)

Wow that was fast, THANKS

Top Tags