cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

How to paste as plain text?

ajimenez
1-Newbie

How to paste as plain text?

I am using Mathcad Prime 3.0 and I can't find how to paste inside a text block as plain text from i.e. Word to Mathcad.

I was unable to find anything in this blog or the help documentation. Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21

I generally have to use Notepad as an intermediate for any number of programs which carry the font/size/color hints from one program to another.

In similar cases I've also used AutoIt to read and write the paste buffer to clean up text. It just sits as a double-click item to run and convert: Copy - doubleclick - paste. Not allowed on the current employer computer, so Notepad it is.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ajimenez)

You can't. PTC apparently hasn't figured out the Windows clipboard yet. You also can't copy or paste any graphic except as a bitmap. You can do all of this in Mathcad 15, but I guess PTC hasn't even figured out how to port the code that Mathsoft wrote.

I do not quite understand what's the problem here?

Pic_1.png

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:VladimirN)

The problem is that you can't get rid of formatting:

It does not suit?

Pic_2.png

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Yes, of course you can reformat it afterwards. The point is that Alberto is asking for a paste option that leaves the formatting behind, so that is reformatting is not necessary. Unfortunately, unlike most software (including Mathcad 15) Prime does not offer any paste options.

Ok, now I see what was the question.

Is there a way to make this an official feature request to PTC?

You can bring your idea in "Create Product Idea" area, here: PTC Mathcad Ideas - PTC Community

Why can't I vote and/or comment the following idea?

Improved Mathcad Prime clipboard and graphic import

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal

I think you have to be paying maintenance support (is that the right term?) to vote on the product ideas.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:MJG)

Mark Gase wrote:

I think you have to be paying maintenance support (is that the right term?) to vote on the product ideas.

Correct. PTC seems not to be really interested in customer feedback and bug reports. They let you pay for the "privilege" to turn in ideas for product improvements.

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal
(To:Werner_E)

They let you pay for the "privilege" to turn in ideas for product improvements.

... and then they promptly ignore the ideas.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

I also do not understand why we do not have feedback on the proposed ideas? Why do not they discuss with the users?

VladimirN. wrote:

I also do not understand why we do not have feedback on the proposed ideas? Why do not they discuss with the users?

A good question!

Maybe they should implement a chatbot to provide company "feedback" on users ideas. This would round off the placebo "product ideas" .

Someone who will constantly monitor ideas and to debate here in the community.

Richard,

By the way how you cleaning formatting before pasting text from one application to another? I as well as David use Notepad application.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Notepad is as good as anything, and it's free.

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal

Ctl+Space clears the formatting of any selected text (re-formats it to whatever you've set as the format of that text box).

Not a complete solution for what you're requesting, but possibly better than using Notepad as an in-between in most cases.

ajimenez
1-Newbie

Thanks Mark Gase, I tried this, and unfortunately it looks like only the color format was removed, nothing else.

Word.png

Prime.png

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal

It appears there are definitely some limitations to my suggestion.  If you copy a single paragraph at a time (no line breaks included in copied text), and paste it into an existing text box/block (empty or including other text), then Ctrl+Space will clear all formatting.  However, if you include any line breaks or try to paste into a blank area of the worksheet, then some formatting remains after Ctrl+Space.

Top Tags